Chick, where are your GOTY picks?

I’ve been looking forward to your GOTY picks this year and have been dissappointed everytime I come here when I don’t see it yet. What’s the story? I really enjoy your picks as they offer at least something I haven’t thought of to pick up or some overlooked gem.

Don’t hold back on us man.

And bring back the Chicklets too!

“I’ve been looking forward to your GOTY picks this year and have been dissappointed everytime I come here when I don’t see it yet. What’s the story? I really enjoy your picks as they offer at least something I haven’t thought of to pick up or some overlooked gem.”

I do too. Please humour us Mr. Chick.

I’m interested in his top five Xbox 360 titles. ;)

The 2005 Quarterlies are waiting on the forum software to get fixed. The bulletin board update changed the way it worked, and it’s not quite working yet. But, what they hey, I’ll go ahead and post them here since you were kind enough to ask.

Most Disappointing: Age of Empires III
Most Surprising: Call of Duty 2

1. America’s Army: Rise of a Soldier
  2. Kirby Canvas Curse
  3. Killer 7
  4. Shadow of the Colossus
  5. Dragonshard
  6. God of War
  7. Guitar Hero
  8. Guild Wars
  9. Timesplitters: Future Perfect
  10. Quake 4

Ha ha, just kidding. My number one pick was easily Civ IV.

It was a good year. I can usually tell by how many things I have to knock off my list to make room: Forza, Sly 3, Mercenaries, We Love Katamari, Romance X, Battlefield 2, and Mario Kart DS all fell off the edge.

-Tom

Let’s see, Top Five Xbox 360 titles? How many times can I pick Kameo? :)

-Tom

How is Call of Duty 2 the most surprising, other than that I’m completely surprised you’d write that? Other than health packs and save anywhere being removed, the core gameplay was identical to the first title.

Awesome!

Adds Killer 7 to the must-buy list

Thanks Tom!

How is multiplayer on dragonshard? I’ve played the demo and found the 2 missions ok, but is multiplayer any different?

Maybe “Most Surprising” on the 360. “On the 360” is my snotty way of saying a game isn’t worthy of being considered for the award in question unless the field of competition is so laughably small as to render the award meaningless.

Granted, I haven’t seen much of it. There was a demo machine running it at the dreaded Fry’s With No Theme. I don’t follow shooters very closely – the last one I played was probably at least a year and a half ago. I was like, “Hey, new shooter. Let’s see what it’s like.”

I didn’t think it was any big deal. The consensus among the people I was with was that “we haven’t been missing anything [by not playing FPSes].” The graphics didn’t blow me away either. Maybe I’m just jaded.

Still, I’d like to hear what was most surprising about it. Was it more surprising than Dragonshard, which I notice also made your list? I still haven’t played it, but from what I’ve heard it sounds like a much better contender for the title than some WWII shooter.

Let me wrestle the text onto the site and then I’ll come here and talk about it a bit more. Stand by…

-Tom

I swear to the power(s) above that if I ever meet Chick in real life, I’m gonna have to wring his neck for making so much fun of Doom and Quake!!!

<insert a bunch of smileys indicating that the previous statement was meant in jest>

You know, these smilies:

:)

work just fine.

-Tom

P.S. Doom 3 is teh suck!

Dragonshard’s multiplayer is much, much better than the single-player camapign.

Good list. I’d put Shadow of the Colossus in my personal top spot, but I can’t fault any of those picks.

I realize that this will probably get me gently touched, but you might want to rent Killer7 before buying. The gameplay is, no fooling, terrible. You walk along prescribed paths by pressing the a button, and every now and then you stop dead in your tracks to shoot translucent thingamawhatsits in their pulsating nerve clusters. It’s a little like playing Duck Hunt as directed by Takeshi Miike.

The really frustrating part, though, is that in every other aspect the game is supercool. The story is pure Japanese weirdness of a high caliber, and the cel-shaded art design is gorgeous. Plus, it’s geniunely creepy. If it wasn’t for the crappy gameplay, I’d be all over it like white on rice.

Still, caveat emptor. You might really dig it, but I’d rent it just to make sure.

I was going to wait til it hit the 10 dollar mark. I’m really swamped with Christmas games right now.

Takeshi Miike! Hooray!

I agree with the gist of what madkevin has written, but I don’t think the gameplay in Killer 7 is that bad. There’s a lot of variety in the different characters and how you upgrade them. And when you’re not shooting, there’s a lot to admire in the artwork. But, yeah, frankly, it’s not much of a game in the actual, umm, game sense.

BTW, I don’t know if it’s fixed in the latest Dragonshard patch (there’s a beta patch available that’s been sitting in Atari’s crack QA department for several weeks now), but some of the guys here were complaining that you couldn’t get more than two players to work over Gamespy.

-Tom

Now they just need the patch that makes so that there are more than two people playing multiplayer…

Actually what got me the most about Killer 7 was the delay in gaming and storytelling, noticably, the incessant amount of loading between each room and the horribly long winded gimp guy that takes way to long to get to the point.