Chickens!

Anyone here own chickens and have some experience to share?

We have 0.8 acres of fenced pasture with a barn and all that good stuff. We’re actually going to be raising alpacas on it (I spin yarn and want the fiber), we’re getting our first alpacas in the next three weeks or so.

But we know we also want chickens – we just want them for eggs, not meat, and it turns out it’s pretty beneficial to have them around alpacas since they eat the flies that bother them.

We don’t have a chicken coop and would need to build one. Anyone had experience with that and want to share? Urban/suburban chicken keeping seems to be on the rise; a coworker two doors down from me has five chickens himself. I’m soliciting opinions, advice, and other useful information from other possible chicken owners.

This seems to be a popular pass time around here. There are also a few other threads I think but I’m lazy.

Edit: I’ll get you next time, Icehole!

You guys are faster than I, but I get extra credit for Elhajj’s coop thread!

Awesome, thanks guys. I honestly didn’t there’d been a chicken thread so I didn’t search. Teaches me, I guess.

The wheel turns and the ages pass. All that has been will be again.

Here at QT3 it appears the chicken thread both preceded and outnumbered the egg thread.

There are threads on QT3 for damned near anything. That’s one reason I like it here so much.

Chickens? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn’t I think of that? Chickens! Caryn, there’s four places. There’s the Chicken Hut, that’s on third. There’s Chickens-R-Us, that’s on third too. You got Put-Your-Wing-There, that’s on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chicken … matter of fact, they’re all in the same complex; it’s the chicken complex on third.

Good luck, Caryn!

I’m still a newbie myself, but I’m getting ready to post something about building a chicken coop to my blog soon. I’m willing to answer any questions you have about my experience building it. I basically bought some plans and then made some minor modifications that I thought might be helpful.

I am not much of a builder, but actually managed to pull it together pretty quickly. Here are some recent photos:

I couldn’t let this pass without posting a link to chicken.pdf.

Ah, that was funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

Also, you three who posted links to the chicken threads all had the same time stamp. You must have been within seconds of each other. I’m impressed!

I don’t know what kind of whacked out operation you’re running over there Tim, but I just want to be clear about something…

Those are not chickens.

-xtien

Also, they are outside of the chicken coop.

Bullhajj, that looks about right for the coop I’d like to build myself. I may ask you some questions down the line!

Cheesy: would that be next to Mary Ann’s Chickens?

I do have a question for the people that HAVE chickens - can you eat those disgusting animals any more after you’ve seen how they live? I can deal with the fact that a chicken will occasionally, you know, accidentally eat its own shit while it’s looking for food in an abstracts sense, but the stories my mother has told me about the chickens they used to keep when she was little were very nearly enough to put me off them entirely.

In the wild they’re like other ground birds, they cover large areas of land and are pretty clean. Raising them in shit-filled confined areas will tend to make them “disgusting” though, yes.

He has a mean left wing, which I hope will get him into a good school.

My dog Pace, an Irish soft coated wheaten terrier, loves chicken shit. He eats the wet stuff, rolls in the dry stuff, and sniffs the bottoms of the birds that drop it. Fortunately I do not plan to eat the dog, so it doesn’t really bother me (much). God knows I have my own shortcomings. Face licking has been curtailed until further notice.

Zongker actually presented the paper at a conference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_-1d9OSdk

• Alan