Childish Gambino - This Is America

Heres the video:

Why I think is important:
It touch a fiber in the american nerve, maybe the world nerve. I does it in a novel way. Is a hard and dark critique but is palatable. Is not victimism but is a “yo, we are dying here” signal.

Achieve so many things with a music videoclip, that elevate the genre of music videoclips a few orders of magnitude.

From a artistic or technical point of view (maybe less important), is a masterpiece that accept a frame by frame analysis and many different interpretations.

Why the hell is this posted in P&R:
The themes the video signal, are political. This is a once in a lifetime event.

I like this analysis over others:

I can’t remember the last time the BBC took interest in reviewing a music video add an art piece:

I have to say that that video grabs one’s attention. I’ve only seen it a couple of times and I definitely think I haven’t “done its content justice” yet.

Huh, my friend shared this with me only last night and its a very powerful piece. There’s so much tension in it.

It’s pretty amazing.

I saw him do the song on SNL last week and went to find the video the next day. The SNL version was way watered down, but that’s to be expected. I had no idea Glover was such an artist - this is a masterpiece.

Thanks for posting that second video because I couldn’t figure out what the heck this video was about, other than some possible commentary on gun violence. I did think it was an amazingly choreographed video though.

It’s cool that it has so much stuff going on in terms of subtle references, but it’s also just a cool musical piece on it’s own.

Yeah, you could listen to it without the video and it’s still engaging. But maybe not as pointed.

Awesome artwork.
Credit:

9,052 votes and 154 comments so far on Reddit

This is striking as well

I really wish the actual audio track had the gunshots in it.
Which is an odd thing to say, but it’s so fucking powerful, that their absence is really noticed.

An interesting discussion between a father and son about this video. This isn’t your typical reaction video due to the nature of the conversation taking place, and the insight provided from the different generations.

I gotta admit, I don’t really get it. Watched the video, didn’t much like the music and do we really need more random shooting of people in videos? Just watch the news. I know, it’s art and supposed to be calling attention to bad things in society, but didn’t feel that way to me. I feel like a bad citizen of the world here 'cause I just thought it was dumb. But I suppose most of the world feels the same way about things I like and/or find interesting.

Yeah, I didn’t get it either. He was doing a weird little dance the whole time and the song wasn’t very good. I think this got more press than it deserved because of Kendrick Lamar winning the Pulitzer. This wasn’t very good, and the artist seems like a big goofball.

You both should watch that video @Teiman posted going over some of the symbolism.

Donald Glover refuses to talk about the symbolism of the song, which I think is cool. It’s all about the interpretation and allow people to get out of it what they get out of it.

Oh, I don’t doubt there’s symbolism. Lots of that in all kinds of things I don’t like, not just this song/video. Most modern art comes to mind.

I have no idea why you would think those two are related, as in what one effort has to do with the other.

I don’t think is possible to make something that will truly universal appeal.