Childish Gambino - This Is America

Honestly, I’m rather stunned after seeing so much grief over the years about alleged whatevers. Kinda makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

The dancing is the best part of this video IMO. Bizarre but still cool.

[edit]

I just realized he is Lando Calrissian.

I don’t hear too many similarities between American Pharaoh and This Is America. Jase Harley’s lyrics put him front and center, how he is the titular Pharaoh, and Childish Gambino’s lyrics survey the American landscape from an obtuse and unreliable narrator. I do think that if two songs have similar tempos, use similar production software, and are in the same language, they can appear to synchronize in a number of different ways, whether it’s unintentional or whether one was “inspired” by the other.

OMG, why would anyone do such a thing!

I mean, I know, but I’m just saying.

Hey, I just met you. And this is crazy. BLAM!

I am late to the party but I have been watching this video today and really like it. The music is great (not usually my style but whatevs), and the music video is really engaging. While it is overt in its messaging, I think it is sufficiently ambiguous to be considered artistic. The direction of the video is also great, it reminds me of some long take shots from True Detective that Fukunaga liked to do and things like that.

The way it is being framed reminded me alot of Jay Z’s Moonlight music video that came out last year. I think this is far more effective (better music too), although I don’t want to comment on which may have affected African Americans more.

Forgot to mention, I thought the style of the video was very reminiscent of the latter half of the Aronofsky movie “mother!” (which I seemed to enjoy more than most people).

Haha. It helps that Call Me Maybe is still a great fucking song.