Children freed from prisons in Iraq

One small, small example of what was going on in that country.

“The children had been imprisoned because they had not joined the youth branch of the Baath party,” he alleged. “Some of these kids had been in there for five years.”

I do not want to bring up the name that will end this thread before it starts, but this sounds eerily similair to another infamous world leader’s practices.

The atrocities we have seen that were visited on Iraqi citizens are one thing. This is pure evil, plain and simple. Imagine the things kids went through that we will hear brief stories about or not hear about at all. I felt bad when I would hear about children suffering in the past, pause and move on. Having a child alters your perspective more than you could imagine. Even if one little 2-year old girl was alone in a dark cell for a week scared shitless, everyone involved should be flayed, doused in salt water and left in the desert to slowly drift into hell. Five fucking years for not agreeing to join up.

I understand that if we never find a speck of chemical weapons in Iraq it will be a serious political problem for the hawks, but as far as I’m concerned, this sort of news is all I need to justify the war.

This saddens me. I work with children and I could never imagine something so horrible. The people who were involved should pay in some form or another. :(

DING DING DING

Time for your daily guest-provided reality check:

Don’t believe everything you see in the media.

Yes, Saddam is horrible. But who knows what’s really going on there without the US/UK media’s spin.

Get a fucking grip on reality.

I checked out the source - it’s a French newswire. I think the story is probably legit.

Btw, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International accused Iraq of this and much, much, worse well before the first Gulf War. And exiles/dissidents have been telling these kinds of stories too. Basically, I’d believe this story no matter who reported it.

Even the Iraqi Minister of Information, Bub?

I’ve got friends at work that left Iraq in 1993 and 1995. All I can say, after spending some evenings with them, is that you’re the one that needs to get a grip. Children being imprisoned (and much, much worse) is something that has been documented in a wide variety of world outlets over the years.

I was waiting for some ignorant fuck to say it was Coalition propaganda. The shocking thing is that it came from an unnamed guest. Go figure. Usually I take all the random guest insanity as what it is…idiocy with not a shred of fact or proof as a basis for whatever he/she is blathering and I do not respond. I know there is media bias and I have no doubt some things are withheld that we do over there due to fear of public opinion and other things may even be colored a certain way for easy consumption by the masses. That is why I included my caveat that if it was even one girl it would still suck in assloads. If only 5% of the story is true, it is horrendous.

The fact that it seems to be completely true and the reports from several independent human rights agencies (as noted above) have covered the years of suffering the people in Iraq have been through makes it genuinely shocking (maybe not shocking as much as infuriating) to me that someone would make a post like that even as a bad, anonymous internet joke. OF course, there is most likely an equal chance that the bastard actually believes it to be a faked story.

Sorry. Age and fatherhood got the best of me today. I will now resume my nonsensical posting of doodoo jokes and references to hot lesbian sex.

Exactly, the US/UK folks probably don’t know the half of it. It could be (and probably is) WORSE.

Ok, why is it shocking that a guest calls it propoganda?

I was trying to be sarcastic and light for a moment, bbut it just did not work when I was so angry throughout the rest of the post huh?

I was trying to be sarcastic and light for a moment, bbut it just did not work when I was so angry throughout the rest of the post huh?[/quote]

Fuck you are stupid. But wait, I guess that’s just age and fatherhood getting to me. That, or the fact that you really are a fucking moron.

The other guest didn’t say this was propaganda. I think he’s trying to point out that “Kids imprisioned for not joining the Ba’ath party” could be a spin. ie a bunch of juvi’s getting broken out of jail and some crackpot claiming they were imprisioned for no reason by The Man.

hurrah!

At the risk of earning Tyjenk’s scorn, why do you suppose they locked those kids up? I am being serious. It says for not joining the Baath party. Why don’t the kids just join? Do they have to do something onerus as members? Are the kids trying to make a statement? Is it punishment for parents not joining? I thought Saddam was a dictator and it’s a one party regime.

You know, I gotta say that it really doesn’t matter WHY. It doesn’t matter if it was for not eating their vegetables, it doesn’t matter if they were the wrong religion. It is just wrong. Maybe we’ll never really know ‘why’, but it really just does not matter. The only thing that matters is that it was done at all.

Children freed from prison!! It’s just like that Atari Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom arcade game!

It’s just been announced on Reuters that the children were imprisoned in Iraq on the orders of EA.com brass, who paid Saddam to test the effects of Majestic and Sims Online on human subjects.

“Kids imprisioned for not joining the Ba’ath party” could be a spin. ie a bunch of juvi’s getting broken out of jail and some crackpot claiming they were imprisioned for no reason by The Man.

Yeah, maybe they’re just the children of dissidents. I’d read stories about the childrens prisons in Iraq, so I’m not surprised we’re finding them. But let’s not pretend we just sprung a bunch of underage criminal from juvey. Even if that’s what it was, I have trouble believeing the Iraqi equivilant of juvenial hall would even approach what we’d consider humane.