Children freed from prisons in Iraq

I heard they were selling review copies of Sierra games on eBay. Since the french and Iraq are so tight, it was simple to have them arrested.

Chet

No scorn from me. I don’t mind you questioning my beliefs or calling me a gasoline huffing idiot. It is gutless guest drive-bys that got me riled after a particularly bad day for yours truly. If you had made the exact same post that guest did, I would not have called you an ignorant fuck as I did “DING DING DING”. THe fact that he broke out “fuck” initially, caused me to respond in kind. I normally reserve that kind of potty mouth talk for drunken nights out with the homies.

Legitimate questions all Tim. I don’t know and will not speculate. The fact that the regime has been proven to kill and torture is enough for me to believe that they engaged in this or similair practices against children. Whether this specific story is true or not, it at the very least exemplifies the crap he rained down on the Iraqi people which caused them to live in fear for 20-25 years. Good enough for me to rant and rave on his dead ass, anyways. :wink:

I was trying to be sarcastic and light for a moment, bbut it just did not work when I was so angry throughout the rest of the post huh?[/quote]

Fuck you are stupid. But wait, I guess that’s just age and fatherhood getting to me. That, or the fact that you really are a fucking moron.[/quote]

I’ve seen writing like that of Guest before, where was it?

Oh, yes. Here we go.

Here’s anti-war activist Scott Ritter from an interview in Time last September:

The prison in question is at the General Security Services headquarters, which was inspected by my team in Jan. 1998. It appeared to be a prison for children — toddlers up to pre-adolescents — whose only crime was to be the offspring of those who have spoken out politically against the regime of Saddam Hussein. It was a horrific scene. Actually I’m not going to describe what I saw there because what I saw was so horrible that it can be used by those who would want to promote war with Iraq, and right now I’m waging peace.

So peace activist Scott Ridder would just as soon those kids rotted in a prison rather than wage a war that would have rescued them – and probably many others?

As Berke Breathed once wrote in a Bloom County strip: “There’s no more good guys”.

Edit: I take that last statement back. Our guys on the ground are definitely good guys. It’s the ones in Washington I worry about.

Loyd Case

The children in the Iraqi prison were forced to process Sims Online and Earth and Beyond telephone cancellation requests against their will. Anyone who let an actual cancellation request get through and get processed watched their parents get gang raped by EA’s QA department.

All due respect Case, what about all the folks that are getting blown up during the invasion? It’s not like they can be liberated at some future date–they’re dead. I am not saying Ridder is right or wrong, just that I find it offensive to try and boil this down to a simple right or wrong issue.

I have been reading all of these war posts, and have kept my opinion to myself, but this has me pissed.

Guest, any body that can fucking make jokes about young children being in prison should be dragged in to the street and beaten with a pillow case full of doorknobs until their brain comes out their ears.

We have freedom of speech, but shit, don’t you have a fucking heart?

I guess age and fatherhood are getting the best of me now, too.

KingLupid
WTT Milk Cow for Magic Beans

Agreed. Let’s just hope that the next govt we setup isn’t so horrible and that we never have to do this in Iraq again.

Agreed. Let’s just hope that the next govt we setup isn’t so horrible and that we never have to do this in Iraq again.[/quote]

I’ll drink to that.

All due respect Case, what about all the folks that are getting blown up during the invasion? It’s not like they can be liberated at some future date–they’re dead. I am not saying Ridder is right or wrong, just that I find it offensive to try and boil this down to a simple right or wrong issue.[/quote]

Well what else are we suspossed to do? It’s a war and people die. God… I really believe that none of the peace protestors would have made it past WW2. What with the millions of innocent people killed. War is a horrible thing, but there was no other alternative.

War is a horrible thing, but there was no other alternative.

That line right there highlights my biggest problem with the pro-war folks.

I don’t know if they believe that out of a lack of imagination or if they just don’t understand international politics. But it’s absolute folly to say there were no other alternatives. There were plenty of alternatives. To portray the invasion of Iraq as some sort of last-resort fait accompli is so sadly misguided that I don’t even know where to begin.

-Tom

How many dead Iraqi babies does it take to change a lightbulb?

Oops, I meant change a regime.

I’m just curious… What other alternatives were there? You don’t have a list all of them but just name a few.

To amplify and focus AIM’s question -

Specifically, what other alternatives could have been exercised that would be likely to meet the stated goal of ensuring that Iraq does not now have and is not trying to acquire any nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons?

–milo

A solution that would also work in the long term and be assured of working for the foreseeable future. And a solution that Saddam has not wormed his way out of in the past.

And a solution that might, as a bonus, put an end to the horrible oppression the Iraqi people had endured for decades.

I think we’re all eager to hear these alternatives, so long as they sound viable and aren’t simply designed to preserve the status quo.

There are always alternatives. It’s not like we were being invaded and there was no time.

I feel bad that these 100 children were locked up for whatever reasons, but there are a huge amount of children being threatened in Basra right now because there is no water. Will aide arrive in time? Will the rest of the children in Iraq get their needs met before they die? Will these 100 children who were just liberated have enough food to eat and water to drink? Will they be blown up or be caught in a cross fire? If we are going to talk about holding children hostage, lets discuss the past 10 years of sanctions against Iraq. Where we not holding these children and their parents in an untenable situation so that they would rise up and destroy Saddam’s regime? Were they not hostages?

I’m just curious… What other alternatives were there?

Since your imagination seems to fail you, allow me to just rattle off a few things: an international consensus, enforced embargoes, air strikes, UN occupation forces, inspections backed by troops, diplomatic pressure, escalating military action, subterfuge, backroom dealing, financial incentives, war by proxy, fostering internal opposition, a full-scale blockade, assassination, and so on.

Maybe you guys are too young to remember, but we just won a little thing called the Cold War. You would have thought we’d have learned a thing or two about getting our way without having to resort to direct military action.

I don’t mind war as a course of action. I’m actually pretty hawkish and was all for intervention in Kosovo (and, in fact, in Bosnia before that). What I mind is using war for opportunistic and short-sighted goals with no consideration for the irreparable damage that will done outside the battlefield.

Sorry if I’m derailing the thread, because as we know, this war was for the children:

-Tom

EDIT: I’m a genius when it comes to international policy, but I’m too dumb to spell ‘irreparable’ correctly.