Children of Morta isn't just an effective and borderline twee action RPG. It's a sentence.

Title Children of Morta isn't just an effective and borderline twee action RPG. It's a sentence.
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game reviews
When September 10, 2019

The elevator pitch for Children of Morta isn't exactly encouraging. A pixel-art action RPG. From the creators of nothing you've played, because I'm pretty sure you didn't play Shadow Blade or Garshasp. Hold on, let me make sure I spelled that right. Yep..

Read the full article

Wow. That’s an amazingly written review. Thanks for that, Tom. Your review is just as precious as (or perhaps more then) the game itself. ;)

Great write up Tom. This is indeed a game that went from being just ok overall, going by what I saw in your first stream. To looking pretty damn fantastic by the end of your 2nd video stream.

From the creators of nothing you’ve played, because I’m pretty sure you didn’t play Shadow Blade or Garshasp.

Whoa! This is from some of the Garshasp people? I remember playing that years ago. It was kinda bad, but it was put together by some scrappy Iranians so that was cool.

Correction:
“The characters['] differences”

If you find the Mace of Tritt in this game, let me know.

Is that the one that plays “Here’s a Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares” while you run around bonking enemies on the head?

muscularly animated pixel art

The new “visually stunning”.

Audio NSFW

Yeah, I remember Garshasp also. Kinda janky, but interesting because it drew on mythology you don’t see much in the west. Had no idea this was the same people.

OK, that kind of makes me want to play the game. Garshasp, though, that’s an unfortunate name for a game. Like I went to college with this girl named Allison Booty, and during one of our classes the professor called roll and when he got to her name he just kind of shook his head a little and mumbled, ‘What an unfortunate name.’

Finally, the sequel to Legacy of the Wizard we’ve been waiting for!

The game’s structure reminds me a bit of Legacy of The Wizard. I wonder if there was an inspiration there.

(Edit: Whoops, didn’t see the comment above. Still stands!)

In Draslay Family’s case, it was merely a gimmick, made to exploit the “Family” tag found in a bunch of Family Computer (i.e NES) games’ titles published by Namcot.
Well actually, reading Tom’s writing, it seems to be also the case here. I’m not quite sure I understood it!

Based on Tom’s write up I wouldn’t be able to play Children of Morta for the same reason I can’t watch The Incredibles, I can’t handle watching happy, loving families working together towards a common goal.

@kerzain just pretend they are the Palin family and you’ll be fine.

They have plenty of struggles and disagreements, at least early on.

@tomchick That tagline belongs on a movie about the mafia.

I breeze to the first boss with Lydia, then get quickly overwhelmed. With John, I haven’t made it to the boss.

I’ve had trouble with most bosses with anybody but John. He is downright ridiculous with the right gear and buffs.

He’s really strong, I just need to do a better job of repositioning at times when I get flanked.

Ended up taking out first boss with Kevin, as Tom alluded to. Got the second with Lydia.

Discovered a cool hidden mechanic (I think) today. A series of hints from vague to specific

Not everything that looks decorative necessarily is

at least, on the floor

There’s a rune design on the floor. Try luring enemies near it and attacking them close by. Rewards await you.

What a shame this game isn’t getting more attention from people. Finished the first “Act” earlier and what an incredible ride that was. This game seems so simple at first, but they keep adding on new systems and before you know it you have graces (like perks from Isaac), relics (which give you additional abilities), runes (like Diablo runes that alter your basic powers), shrines, etc.

I beat the third boss with Mark, which I never expected to do. I was tearing up elites like mad and had some ridiculously chaotic fights where I could barely tell what the heck I was doing. So much fun.

It’s really cool how the combination of these factors can make each run feel very different from the last, even if you’re using the same character.

-Tom