China. China China. ChinaChinaChina for the China

Well, he almost smacked his jewels into the edge of the wheelbarrow trying so hard to stay out of it between all the words he said, but ultimately he ended up ass deep in the dolla bills.

You will have to be more specific about which meme you are invoking pls…

You realize you are on a list now, right?

I’m assuming I’ve been on a list for quite some time being as I, or shall I say, we, posted in the, “What If I Drill Small Holes In A Flatscreen Monitor,” thread. We all know that was spy-speak for monitoring our assets. Everyone who posted there was showing their hand early on, pre-Putin.

“KingJames”. Jesus.

We’re looking at this all wrong. I mean we’re getting a great list of people to take off the, “good role model,” list. Which, to be frank, had needed trimming for a long fucking time.

So on the, “fuck you,” list we now have:
Blizzard management
Riot Games management
NBA front office
LeBron LeHóng

Who am I missing? We need to cross off more names.

EDIT: Not Epic.

Why is Epic on the list?

I feel like one of those things is not at all like the others.

Sorry I thought Epic had made some statement last week. I’m probably confusing it with someone else. It was basically along the lines of, “there’s nothing wrong with what Blizzard is doing.”

You are thinking of Riot maybe?

They actually made the opposite statement, which is good, because Tencent owns 40% of them.

Makes you wonder.

That’s it. Thanks man!

Indeed. I am looking forwards to the political statements in the next major Fortnite tournament :)

Realistically you’d need to add hundreds of companies to that list. Every major Hollywood studio makes their programming decisions based on how movies will fare in China now. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. are the same way with their big productions.

Apple removes apps from the store at China’s behest, and they’ve told their TV+ producers to avoid upsetting China.

Yeah I was being sarcastic in my joking reply, but I hear ya. A few months ago my SO wanted to watch Meg the movie. I’ve never seen a more blatantly pandering flick towards China.

If that’s the future of Hollywood, well here’s hoping there is an Indie market to keep us going. Otherwise I’m back to reading books.

Apple for deleting the app that protestors were using to track protestors.
ESPN for a) ignoring this story as much as possible and writing a memo on it. (Although some of the commentators are weighing in on LeBron’s stupid statement about how free speech can do harm and have consequences. b) For publishing China’s preferred map showing their ownership of the South China Sea and everything. If China said Japan was a Chino Territory, ESPN would market it so.
Nike: For the Stand For Something even if you have to sacrifice Everything (And by everything we mean Rocket flair in our Chinese stores)

LeBron’s statement was head scratching given how late it came and how bad it was. He’s making the point that an exec started this and isn’t being held accountable. But the problem is that NO ONE in the NBA wants anything from Morey. B/c the more attention you give the idea that simply statement Freedom for Hong Kong causes China to go crazy. China is learning all about the Streissand Effect and I find their calculations interesting on this. It’s possible they thought they could just roll the Rockets/NBA so easily and this is no big deal. But China overplayed their hand and this story is going to continue to linger.

And of course, every NBA player should be given talking points saying “I support free speech. I don’t know enough to comment on HK politics. Free Speech for Kapernick and everyone is good. I’m thinking about next game not politics.” My guess is this problem is that they are scared that saying good things about free speech will lead to a stronger crackdown in China (see what happened post Silver when he reiterated that NBA supports free speech). And Commies buy sneakers too. A lot of King James sneakers.

Has @tomchick put into place any forum policies meant to stem potential ire among the Chinese?

Well, he doesn’t allow us to use ‘Likes’, so I would say so.

Testing, 1, 2, 3 …

Best hope Tencent doesnt buy Patreon.