Chinese may have intentionally poisoned pet food

Communist? Sure, in name.

I was under the impression that Iams dry food pellets aren’t affected by this shit (Since that is what I feed our two pound moggies.)

Could someone shed some light.

I know Royal Canin and Science Diet are.

If my new beagle gets sick from any pet food, I’m gonna fly to China and shoot a bitch.

My favourite tainted Chinese food story is the recycled Mooncakes. Every fall solstice there’s a mooncake festival where you buy these mooncakes and give them away. They are almost always horrible in taste in New York. The ones I’ve tried from Taiwan are like, pretty edible!

I can’t find the source even searching the NYTimes archive. One factory in China was caught using last year’s fruit fillings, reboiling them, and stuffing them in new ones. Good thing nobody actually eats the darn things.

Current rumor has been not to eat China-made rice noodles because one factory was caught churning out “fake” noodles. What the heck, is plastic that much cheaper than rice?

A lot of contamination doesn’t even have to be on purpose. China is undergoing heavy industrialization with no enforcement. Their water tables have been dropping unsustainably for over a decade. They really should go start hanging some random mayors and local authorities to cut down corruption.

So the moral of the story is to buy cheap electronics and plastic goods from China, but not food.

The American Breadbasket is safe!

That’s why you gotta read which ones are being recalled. Only a small number of their food is affected.

Does that mean that Red Bull is good for cats?

No, it doesn’t. Glutenin and gliadin are proteins. :-P

Do we really need more hyper cats?

Fixed for accuracy.

This is some crazy shit. If they really are adding this stuff to create the illusion of more protiens in food additives, then it could easily have made it’s way into human-consumption food products. Livestock feed is only one example, protiens are added to everything from breakfast cereals to infant formula, and a lot of those products may be manufactured outside of China but use Chinese produced additives (just like the pet food companies were using).

Some of the stuff they fake boggles the mind. Fake noodles? Fake SALT? I mean, how freaking expensive can noodles and salt be? You’d think it would cost more to produce a passable fake product than it would to simply ship REAL rice and salt.

Want to hear some more crazy shit?

Last night I had a dream where I had to fight a house cat to save my terrier after getting home from a rained out stadium sized open mic night with Patton Oswalt to celebrate triumph over the zombies. I only got to say, “Have you ever considered that you might be secretly retarded?” Anyways, so the cat is chasing my dog. The whole time I was thinking, “Where’s that goddamn sheepdog, she’s normally got our backs.”

If folks haven’t seen the Discovery series China Rising, it’s worth a watch. Goes into detail on the changing economy and industrialization and even spends some time with a detective who works for companies looking for faked goods, including things like the baby formula incident.