Chocolate milk!

Had a friend in university that worked a term at the major brand dairy factory. Basically the chocolate milk is the stuff tested at a much lower grade. They add a bunch of sugar and chocolate to mask the ever-so-slightly off flavour that it would otherwise have. Not great overall (not too bad for you though beyond the sugar).

Smaller batch custom stuff I’m sure doesn’t have the same issues.

Ooh I love Oberweis. Used to get it in that glass jar at Plum Market in Ann Arbor.

Unfortunately I can’t get it now here in Troy, NY. I’m still looking for the perfect brand, but I just signed up with a CSA for this summer that also offers a milk share, so I am hopeful that will fill the bill. It is from a local dairy just up the road from the CSA farm.

yam yam
is very Delicious! you lucky.
Cheers

Chocolate milk is indeed delicious. My particular favorite is Nestle’s Abuelita, which is heated milk with a spiced chocolate tablet melted in it. I can ONLY drink it when others are here to share, or else I guzzle the whole lot of it.

I don’t really like chocolate milk. Thanks, I will show myself out now.

Wow, I never knew there were all these specialty chocolate milks. That Oberweis looks delicious.

What are we talking here - Ralph’s? Von’s? I’m suddenly in the mood for some chocolate milk!

Just any Ralph’s!

Forumites … I am gonna ruin the thread. ;)

download

Why? I loved yoohoo as a kid. Haven’t had it in ages though.

To reiterate: Chocolate milk!

Recently, I’ve been making chocolate milk as a low-carb treat using homemade almond milk and cacao powder from Costco. Hard to get it very sweet without sugar, but it’s pretty tasty all things considered.

It’s really strange this thread exists, I’ve been giving chocolate milk quite a lot of thought the last week. A few months back I got back into weight training and I was drinking chocolate milk after my sessions with protein powder and some vitamins/creatine. By the next day, I wasn’t even sore, and by day 2 I was back working the same muscle groups again.

Last week we didn’t get any chocolate milk, I didn’t think anything about it but I’ve been sore a lot longer for the same amount of exertion. Very strange. So this morning after my work out I hit the nearby gas station and grabbed chocolate milk. Almost 60 minutes of lifting and I already don’t feel sore again, not too bad. I guess it works really well for me?

I remember seeing this all the time as a kid but never getting the chance to try it. And then when I finally did, it was disgusting! It’s thin like water and I almost wanna say kind of chalky? Ugh. Nothing like the rich creamy chocolate milk I was looking for. Why would you drink that stuff?!

It doesn’t require refrigeration. :)

Yeah Calders dairy in Michigan uses those bottles as well. And their chocolate milk is also delicious. I don’t even believe it’s homogenized so you can see the cream floating around and rising to the top.

Local dairy chocolate milk throwdown!

I usually go for their root beer milk though.

Due to my dad’s side of the family I am forced to consume this stuff:

(or the generic skim Aldi version in my case)

I enjoyed banana flavored Quik when I was younger and semi-able to digest the stuff. I haven’t seen the stuff in stores for years, however.

I had Yoo-hoo once. Once. Never again.

That shit was just dirty water with an appealing label.

That is fascinating. Thanks for posting that. I’ve lost so much weight I weigh less than I did in high schools (I was a twig then), and I’m lacking muscle from the winter, so going outside to work on the pond is going to be tough on what puny muscles I do have. Going to totally do this after working outside to try and tone down the hurt. Do you use some really safe version of protein powder that you can recommend?