Choose your game bundle?

Apparently Sapphire is going to implement an activation system to allow you to choose which full games you want from DVD’s bundled with thier graphics cards.

Since I do not overclock, mod, etc., the stock performances of graphics cards are basically the same for me. This would definitely get me shopping for Sapphire cards.

More, including the activation system, here:

that’s a cool idea. I generally buy OEM though.

It’s an interesting idea, but I haven’t ever received a game in a hardware purchase that I cared about playing since most (if not all) are action games (a genre I don’t bother with). Perhaps if they’d bundle a better variety of genres so there’s something for everyone, I’d consider this worthwhile.

What would OEM mean for graphics cards? I think Sapphire is the primary manufacturer of ATI cards so they aren’t OEM in the usual sense but most companies don’t change the reference design anyway.

No box, software, etc – just the card.

Ok, who actually RTFA?

Although the game we installed worked just like the in-store version, there are a few discrepancies users should be aware of. Once activated, a game can only be played on the computer on which it was installed; ActiveMARK’s software had modified several of the game files. The result is that regular patches and updates of the game will not work with this version!

Can’t install it on another computer…

… and you can’t get the latest patches until ActiveMARK releases them.

What’s wrong with using the coupon code to download an ISO (or another CD image) of the full version of the game from the Sapphire website? That way I’d get the real game (like I do now when I buy video cards)! Plus they could have an unlimited # of games instead of being limited to 2 DVDs.

Seems to me like yet another form of copy protection.

You can use the real patches, you just have to download a No CD crack. And, of course, the whole activation scheme will be cracked immediately upon release, so it’s kind of a moot point.

I don’t go for bundles - the only good bundle I ever saw was an SB Live!
with Alien vs. Predator. It’s all been crap since - how can you top that? :)

It’s a bad idea. Sapphire is probably large enough that someone with
just enough spare time makes an extraction tool.

If they included refunds for people who DIDN’T want any of the bundled
games, though…

Yes, will, copy protection seems to imply you’d need a crack to get it around, or does that need to get spelled out?

I think you’re missing the point… yes, copy protection can be circumvented, but maybe if you haven’t noticed it’s not exactly legal. It’s kind of like saying “yeah, well I can have all kinds of drugs in my house” – yes you can, but the law says you can’t.

I’d rather have actual liberty instead of looking for ways of exploiting the current loopholes. As you stated the scheme will get cracked immediately. The question then is “why bother with a copy protection scheme in the first place” and not “who cares.” I’ll tell you who cares, the people who don’t know or don’t want to spend their time download cd cracks, the people who actually paid for the game. The people who don’t want to spend money to promote useless activity like copy protection.

Yes, will, copy protection seems to imply you’d need a crack to get it around, or does that need to get spelled out?

I think you’re missing the point… yes, copy protection can be circumvented, but maybe if you haven’t noticed it’s not exactly legal. It’s kind of like saying “yeah, well I can have all kinds of drugs in my house” – yes you can, but the law says you can’t.

I’d rather have actual liberty instead of looking for ways of exploiting the current loopholes. As you stated the scheme will get cracked immediately. The question then is “why bother with a copy protection scheme in the first place” and not “who cares.” I’ll tell you who cares, the people who don’t know or don’t want to spend their time download cd cracks, the people who actually paid for the game. The people who don’t want to spend money to promote useless activity like copy protection.[/quote]

uh, so what games do you buy? the percentage with copy protection is pretty high.

Sure… but I don’t buy games that have stupid crap like “I won’t work if Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools is installed” or “I’m going to install stupid spyware on your computer without you knowing it”

If I wind up one day accidentally buying one of those games, it’ll be because I didn’t know about that stupid copy protection crap in advance. In which case the game will probably suck and I’ll return it to the store (good games don’t need copy protection as Jedi Outcast proved ;)).

Sure… but I don’t buy games that have stupid crap like “I won’t work if Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools is installed” or “I’m going to install stupid spyware on your computer without you knowing it”

So…

What are your thoughts on Steam?

Steam might be a very crappy program but last time I checked it didn’t install spyware on my computer and it worked just fine alongside Alcohol 120%.

If I wind up one day accidentally buying one of those games, it’ll be because I didn’t know about that stupid copy protection crap in advance. In which case the game will probably suck and I’ll return it to the store (good games don’t need copy protection as Jedi Outcast proved ;)).[/quote]

Point taken, I think one silent storm patch hated d-tools and x2 doesnt like it either, but other than that there isnt anything good missing. Oh, sh3, but thats cracked (no patch though).

SHIII works just fine with D-tools and Alcohol 120%. My only problem with starforce so far has been that the drive doesn’t recognise the SHIII disc so I have to pop it out and put it back in again, and repeat this until it works. Usually this takes 5-6 times to get right.