Christmas and the assumption that everyone celebrates it

Well, there’s always Chrismukkah!

:lol:

More seriously, my wife is Jewish (reform) and I’m a former Catholic lapsed into agnosticism. So we end up celebrating both Hannukah and “commercial American Christmas”. Rapant consumerism, and no creches to be found in our yard!

Despite being an atheist, I’ve decided to bring up Christian kids until they’re old to make their minds up. Hence the nativity diorama on our table with the T-Rex and robot monster added for extra colour because, well, it needed something.

<---- Worlds smallest violin.

Heh. We were just starting to tell the kids about Christian stuff around Christmas time when they were four. Since it was Christmas, we started with baby Jesus. My daughter was really getting into it. On the way to a a holiday play with one of my daughters little playmates, my daughter mentions Jesus. Her little friend goes, “Jesus? Oh, yeah, he’s dead. They stuck pins in him and killed him.” My daughter goes. “Dad?” I’m like, “Well honey…” There was a moment of silence as understanding sunk in and then an outraged cry from the back seat. Ouch. I was like, “We were just getting to that part, honey…”

Show your small children ‘The Passion of the Christ’ on Christmas Eve. Then, as you’re tucking them into bed afterwards, tell them that Santa Claus is actually a pagan demon who steals into houses at night to abduct little children and replace them with changelings.

But say the last part with an excited glee, so that your children think you might be looking forward to having changlings.

But there is a movie hero with the last name of Russell: The Consummate Badass

If that upsets you, then you should drop to your knees and give thanks that you aren’t little Johnny:

H.

“Jeff” is correct.

If it makes you feel any better, the guys in Beijing I work with quite clearly find our holidays incomprehensible.

The guys you work with in Beijing? A-ha! Proof that McCullough’s postcount is the result of outsourcing his account to a sweatshop in China!

People are funny when they think they’re joking!

People are funny when they think they’re joking![/quote]

Its like he paid one of those companies that outsorce MMORPG power leveling. “I want to be power leveled in the QT3 game please.”

Oh yeah? How about if you had the same name as the coolest action film hero ever, but the film makes a point that he obviously hated that name and insisted that he be called by the dog’s name :(

Oh, and then there was that serial killer. :cry:

There was a serial killer named Steven Seagal ?

Yeah, maybe I smarmily overdid my post. I get pissed with holier-than-thou* folks too who cannot understand how my beliefs do not mirror theirs and why I do not do things the “right” way (i.e. their way).

However, the majority of the country celebrates Christmas and their are a few of those that are ignorant and do not know how to interact with others in a proper fashion. I hear people say insensitive stupid shit day in and day out and if I did not just sigh and move on, I would teeter right off the edge into insanity.

I do get tired of the need to change Christmas vacation to Winter Break. And Christmas sales to Holiday sales. Schwarzenegger just changed the California official December “Holiday” back to Christmas for the state. I have posted about this a few times. I am just tired of having to change every traditional wording in American public life because it may offend someone when it is harmless or maybe, just that the majority may have the right to call it whatever they want. I guess a bit much of that came back in my sarcastic post.

People making assumptions about how I should act makes me want to get their address, take a picture doing whatever they find improper, and then mail it to them once a week for a year. I have a friend whose wife (a very nice, sensible woman) cannot stand the thought of lesbian activity and gets really pissed when even a joke is made about hot, lesbian action. I make it a point to bring it up as often as possible.

[size=2]*For the purpose of this post holier-than-thou is synonymous with Southern Baptists[/size]

Don’t you find it challenging to work “hot lesbian action” into so many conversations?

TY- it’s not the calling it Christmas season, or whatever.Call it whatever you want. Change your radio stations to all christmas music. fine with me. I know I’m in the minority. That is fine. But the insensitivity of that person’s final comment is what really floored me. “Oh you will be…” I guess I sometimes forget that christmas is no longer attached to the birth of christ, but now attached to american capitolism. For me the jewish holidays are still rooted in the religous as much as the family. How old fasioned of me.

99% I brush off, although there are times that I wish I didn’t. I never brush off ‘jew’ jokes, or my personal favorite’ don’t be a jew’ but most everything else I let side.

I gotcha. Again, I was trying to say my reaction may have been a little too knee-jerkish because of all the political correctness running rampant year-around. I took your initial post wrong. I would say a 99% brush off rate is extraordinarily high. :) Now if only you had not killed Jesus. ( :lol: Joke :lol: .)

I am not a Christian, I am an aethiest, but for crying out loud-if Christmas offends you so much, move to Iran, all of you.

THIS nation WAS founded on Christian values, BY Christians. You don’t like it, either blow it out your ass, or move.