Christopher Nolan's.... DUNKIRK? (2017)

It’s got Mark Rylance. Always a plus.

The reviews have been complete raves - this seems like an extraordinary movie experience very much best seen in IMAX. Surprised there isn’t more discussion here.

It doesn’t arrive in theatres til Friday.

There is a 70 mm IMAX showing here in town. Me and a coworker are thinking of sneaking away to the theater on Saturday, our respective wives none the wiser.

I’ve been to the theater so many times this year I estimate I’ve literally lost an hour of my life to Dunkirk trailers, so it’s pretty easy to be numb to the hype at this point. I am planning to see it though.

By contrast, I’ve managed to avoid every trailer so far, since I haven’t been to the movie theater even once this year. Unless Logan was this year. But I think that came out last year, right? Anyway, I’m going in clean. All I know is that it’s Nolan and World War 2. I don’t even know what actors are in it, or if it has tanks and planes.

I thought “Dunkirk” was a way of making fun of the name with some weerd spelling, but that is actually how it is spelled in English?
Can’t stop picturing William Shatner as a Dunadan narrated by Leonard Nimoy.

Going to see this in glorious 70mm on Friday at the Music Box in Chicago with a couple of old friends. Cannot wait.

I wouldn’t be surprised, the English love overwrought spellings, while simultaneously handling their pronunciation in the simplest, most reductive way possible.

Same here.

Even if I wasn’t crazy about Interstellar overall, I was happy to see the spectacle in theaters.

Interstellar was a disaster, in my opinion, and damaged the Nolan brand. Especially after Dark Knight Rises, which was also one of his weaker movies.

But everything written about this movie indicates that not only has he redeemed himself for those lesser efforts, he’s made something truly special and superlative.

I wouldn’t really call it a disaster by any stretch though I admit it’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea. It made more money then Batman vs Superman and still allowed Nolan to get a now completely risk-averse WB to commit to a war movie with no Americans, in a summer blockbuster timeslot, and a huge potential paycheck for Nolan.

Seeing it in 70mm at the Alamo Drafthouse in SF on Friday night, so am fairly eager. Big screen spectacle deserves a special viewing.

— Alan

Well it may have been a disaster in your opinion but it pulled in $675 Million on a production budget of $165 million. I would love to fail at that level! Even with promotional expenses, the movie was anything but a disaster. It also had a 71% critic / 83% fan RT rating, once again, not so much a disaster. I really doubt it hurt “Nolan’s brand” much if any.

I’m going to the 70mm at the Music Box in Chicago on Saturday afternoon! Also agree that his movies deserve a big screen viewing, and he almost always delivers on “spectacle.”

The first film Nolan has made that feels bigger than the director’s preoccupations and obsessions.
July 20, 2017 | Rating: A
Steven D. Greydanus
National Catholic Register

I’m hoping to see this on an IMAX screen soon. I like Nolan’s work a lot but he too-often repeats himself with his rules-heavy, intricate, puzzle narratives. Sounds like this movie might dodge that issue which would be a welcome change of pace.

Saw it tonight on a big non-IMAX screen. Totally immersive. There were a few things you can nitpick about, but the overall effect is really impressive. My son’s main take-away was that the movie was about the individual characters, who, after being totally involved in their lives for an hour and a half, you realize that you don’t even know their names.

Maybe that’s kind of the point?

No doubt. My son was commenting on how it is a very different sort of story telling compared to most movies.

So I wasn’t giving this m I’ve a whole lot of thought really, I mean I love Nolan movies as much as the next person but yeah, ok, another WW2 movie, well … but then I came across this Slate article that ranks all ten Nolan movies. And they put Dunkirk on top. Ahead of Memento, The Prestige and The Dark Knight which I consider three of the greatest films pretty much anyone has made. Is it that good?

I plan on seeing it in RPX this weekend (Regal’s 70mm IMAX-like.) Here’s hoping it’s good, I get a stiffy for great war movies.