Christopher Nolan's.... DUNKIRK? (2017)

I stayed out of the thread until I finally saw the movie, and I’m so glad QT3 is a bunch of grognards that have given Dunkirk a much more sceptical reception than the average movie critic*. Not leading the Messerschmitt annoyed the hell out of me, and the utter absurdity of Tom Hardy somehow shooting down a Stuka when gliding destroyed a lot of goodwill. Also, how many rounds does he have in his magic levitating Spitfire anyway?

*Quoth Peter Travers: “Greatest War Film Ever.” What the fuck?

Yeah some of that stuff was baloney and took the movie into fantasy territory. On the balance I still enjoyed it.

I saw this on the plane. Of all the movies I saw, this is the one I enjoyed the most but… I need more facts in the movie. This is not a story I actually know, so having to go look things up because I wasn’t quite sure if I understood everything just right was a disappointment. I understand he was playing with POV, but I still think it would have been nice to have more history in this quasi-history based movie.

Of all movies to watch on a plane I would imagine this would be one of the worst! The visual and sound design is, in my view, the best part of the film. So if you get a chance to watch it in a grander environment, do so. I agree the movie needed alot more context and history. It may have been more forgivable if the individual stories were more engaging.

I see a lot of movies in theater. It’s one of my top past times to spend with others. Dunkirk had been on the list, but when I read the review I took it off. It’s not the kind of movie I would ever want to see for the visuals and sounds. If I do historical war type movies at all, and I don’t do them often because it hurts my heart to see what really happened kind of thing, it’s for the history and the reminder piece not say the dog fighting or the way the ship tilt and sink.

Having said that, if it goes on HBO or something, i can certainly give it another go. I do have a surround sound / receiver set-up in the main room.

I just watched it (no imax) and it was interesting.
At first I was a bit distraught by the absence of the Germans, but then I figured this was sort of an historically themed horror movie, and a very effective one at making me not ever, ever, ever wanting to experience this.
The ending’s couples of high notes are what I was disappointed by, but I guess their absence would have made the movie too grim to be promoted, and that also would have taken away the slight bit of historical exposition that was left in it. But frankly, was any exposition useful since the simple message of the movie seemed pretty clear? I don’t really know; I thought that, by looking at a very small sample of population, it was trying to be universal. It may have been a bit too ambitious in that respect.

I’m only getting around to watching this tonight. At first I thought the guy they rescued off the shipwreck was German, given his initial silence (stipulated: I’m not familiar with the naval uniforms of the period).

The Ringer just published a Rewatchables podcast of Dunkirk, and Quentin Tarantino joins the gang. It sounds like he did three Rewatchables, and this is the first of the three. So if you want to hear what QT thinks of Dunkirk and Nolan, click below.

rewatched it yesterday night after Black Panther. It was already past midnight, but it was sitting there next to my prime movies, I clicked just to check the first ten minutes and stayed up to the end. I recommend wearing headphones, what an amazing soundtrack. The pulsing almost never stops from start to the end. And after Tenet, the way Dunkirk is structured feels like easy mode ;) It is not that hard to connect the events from 1 week, 1 day and 1 hour. For me this is perfection.

Also, the movie feels very humane, connected to the characters without much dialog. Almost like a silent movie (they were not bad movies, just go and watch a Buster Keaton or Chaplin movie).

It feels like a single shot movie, like 1917, but there is a lot of editing. but the way he does it, just perfect all held together by the soundtrack …

you were right, newbrof from the past …

Who said they were?

Finally saw this. Basic thoughts are fine movie with distinctive filmmaking, but it does feel a bit like it was spliced together with different actors at different times at different locations (which I’m sure it was). It also sort of misses the scale at the end. A couple boats load a hundred people. /ten minutes later. Well, we saved 300,000 men. Stiff upper lip, well done.

It humanizes this period of history and yet seems to like of lose the plot somewhere, it ends with a muddled feeling, epitomized by the fate the pilots. Certain scenes were striking (trying to humanize rowboats pushing off the beach futility against the tide), and some seem unnecessary (the million boats that get sunk carrying the unlucky plot armor protagonists). Overall glad it exists of course, the old gentlemen sailor was clearly the heart of the story. The real stars were the ocean and the landscape.

Also somebody has been playing a lot of flight simulators. Watching the dogfights reminded me of current WW2 sims.