Christopher Tolkien has died

Whatever one thinks about the Tolkien Estate, one can’t question his love for father’s work and the immense contribution to Middle Earth lore he has had in editing and publishing his father’s notes and unfinished writings.

Hmm, sorry to hear this. I’m 1/3 into reading Lord of the Rings to my daughters, so I’ll have to tell them tonight. We just finished the Bridge of Khazad-dûm chapter last night and they’re convinced there’s no way Gandalf could have died since he’s a wizard.

Well, they weren’t wrong. Maiar are made of sterner stuff than us mere mortals.

I can only imagine what the LOTRO world chat is gonna be like tonight.

He left the world a lot of his gifts. I hope that brings some peace to this family, and a thank you, at least from me.

Wow. Thought he was gonna live forever. RIP.

I’ve got all 12 volumes of History of Middle-Earth and other than the Book of Lost Tales, I haven’t read any of them. I should get on that.

Am saving up for The Lord of the Rings audiobooks. I have a ways to go yet.

Delivered on 8629 audio cassettes!

Edit:

I joke but while I’m enjoying reading the book to my kids, it is very long and sometimes feels like it was a bad idea. I read 45 minutes each night and barely feel like I’m making a dent.

ASoIaF was waaaaay longer! (And I highly recommend them.)

The BBC version with all the actors, Ian Holm’s one?

Not sure. I want the unabridged ones. I think the BBC ones are abridged. NPR has some too.

I believe it is abridged, but man it is an awesome version. It’s acted, a radio show really, so it’s not going to be word for word.

To your kids? I, uh, yeah, I’ll wait…

Sweet, you’ll be just in time for the unabridged Wheel of Time series!

I did the first book (years ago). I will have to listen to it again. Wasn’t real impressed the first time, but I am running out of series to follow…

I need to put the most recent works on the top of the pile (Turin, Fall of, ect). I even own Turin but just haven’t read it yet.

RIP Mr. Tolkien. He did the yeoman’s work for his father legacy.

Truth. While it was his fathers creation, Christopher had a massive impact on shaping the legacy.

I may have bones with how modern copyright is handled, where people can inherit in perpetuity things not of their own making. But Christopher Tolkien was an active participant and very much part of the creative legacy.

Christopher Tolkien didn’t pillage his father’s works. He respected them, cultivated them, and did his very best to bring his father’s true intentions forward as best he could. It’s almost sad, in a way, that a man would basically devote his entire life to his dad’s writings, but also noble in some medieval manner.

I mean, he could have ended up like Herbert’s kid.

Be still, my heart. I thought the thread title said Christopher Walken at first.

Man I hope Christopher Tolkien was largely happy in life. It would be so sad to find out he thought he lost a lot to his father’s work.