Chrome Has Gone To Hell

It’s “UI Layout for the browser’s top chrome”
Set it to Normal.

Oh, thank God!

See, even Google knows the new UI isn’t right!

Personal preference, really. We all just got used to the old UI over the past 10 years. I don’t mind the new one, but then I’ve never used Chrome as my primary browser due to its terrible support for mouse gestures.

I am pretty much a sheeple with UI changes, I go with the flow and either don’t mind or actively like. I like shiny new interfaces, but this just seemed a solid step back. It’s ugly, harder to read, and I don’t get any benefits from it. That may be a first for me with a major product like Chrome.

That’s OK, because it was the impetus to change. Chrome just fucked up all my bookmarks on several computers when it logged them out thanks to the login changes which was another reason to switch to Firefox. So far it has been working great and is a helluva lot less evil than Google these days.

If you have DPI Scaling Level set to a higher value (I use 150%) in Windows, the new Chrome tabs are way too huge and a waste of space.

I like that. So just click and it’s a drop down of links for that specific category?

Yep! Easy as pie. For me, at least.

Everybody doesn’t do that? I’ve been doing that since like, Netscape days.

Sadly in the new chrome version the normal option for the top UI no longer exist. I’m sad now.

Same. I have no clue why someone thought this was better.

Firefox actually looks better than Chrome now.

Out of nowhere to just ruin my Monday. Though I’m actually more annoyed by the iOS version than the desktop version, for some reason.

I’m back using Firefox after a good six months or so with Chrome… there’s just a handful of options missing in Chrome that kind of irritate me, and I’m not seeing a good reason to stick with it.

I can work around the lack of bookmark separators, and I can deal with the tab row being in the wrong place, but I could never figure out how to keep all the websites from asking me for my location (why would I ever allow that?) or figure out how to turn off incorporating my browser history into search results from the address bar (not because I need to hide my browser history, but because I just want it to search over my bookmarks since those are the places I would actually try to go to.)

I am very picky. :/

• Bookmark Separators can be added with a Chrome extension if you need them.
  • Tab stacking used to be a hidden flag feature you could enable but it was removed from what I can tell. There may be an extension for it.
  • For disabling location, in Chrome, open settings. Scroll down and expand Advanced. Scroll down more and select the arrow to the right of Content Settings, then click the arrow to the right of Location, then move the blue on button to off where it says, “ask before accessing.”
  • For the bookmarks only search versus history+bookmarks, that’s done on your Google account. Go to google, com, pull up your account, Data&Personalization, Web and App activity. Uncheck, “Include Chrome History …”

I almost forgot, back to your question on location (and it also relates to the history as well,) if you jump all-in with Google, those end up assisting with speeding up getting you information. As an example, if you have location on for a PC, it’s not really that helpful with the exception of pulling up maps and showing your approximate location. But with an Android based phone or tablet on mobile, it changes completely. You get directed quicker to things like menus for the restaurant you are in, nearby post offices if you happen to search for that, etc. It’s very helpful. It also pops up nearby things if you’re searching for them anyway.

History is an account feature because it allows you to get some of that same search functionality across devices. So something like, “what was it I pulled up at the office today that had the parts I needed for my car???” Easily solved, as you’re able to search for that and see that history from your account, or even pull up the history directly from your other devices and scroll back through them.

I’ve disabled locations and the notifications myself… I still these questions too. It’s pretty annoying.

Interesting, turns out I’ve had that entire Web and App Activity thing on pause since May. Looks like Chrome is ignoring it, even with the “Include Chrome History” bit unchecked, as I’ve had browse history on all my address bar searches this entire time. Weird stuff.

The method often used (even the extensions I’ve seen) is to bookmark web pages with appropriate fav-icons / titles to represent separators. It’s the workaround I’ve been using, and is manageable if a bit clumsy when doing fiddling around doing bookmark organization.

Yeah, I like my tabs below the address bar and bookmark bar, but for whatever reason web browsers want their tabs at the top of the app. I’ve always found this inexplicable, but it’s probably me just showing my age.

For some reason, I thought changing that would make it auto-accept instead of auto-block.

But thanks for the tips, I figure I’ll end up bouncing between chrome and firefox every half a year or so since neither is perfect and they’re just about the only ones left standing in the browser wars, now that Edge is dead.

That’s really the only thing I still miss from Firefox. Waaaaaaay more tab options and the ability to modify them. Hell, this recent change for Chrome would be much easier to swallow if we had more tab modification options.

Annoyance: I can no longer mute per-tab

edit - great, it’s been moved to the experimental flags
chrome://flags/#sound-content-setting

YEAH FUCK YOU CHROME, ONLY MISSING ABOUT 50 TABS HERE.