Chrome Has Gone To Hell

May they rest in peace.

If you rebuild your tab list, use the following to save them for the future. Yes, I know it shouldn’t be needed, but it is what it is. I do this for my “standard tabs” in case of events like yours.

(three dots in upper right of Chrome) -> Bookmarks -> Bookmark Open Pages -> (give it a new folder name) -> Save.

I’ve had the same situation as you happen to me before after some strange event that I can’t recall. It was extremely annoying. 99% of the time I get prompted to reload the last set of tabs prior to whatever event happened.

Does anyone use gestures (forward/back swipe from the screen edge) for Chrome on Android? They were a feature you had to enable in chrome://flags on Android (which is stupid, because they are enabled by default in Chrome on Win10), and I’ve been using them for a while and have gotten very used to them. But then today they just stopped working. I figured Chrome had been updated and they were just disabled for some reason, but when I went to look and re-enable them, the setting seems to have been removed completely? Wtf?

Well, Google, you’ve just made me install Edge. I hope you’re happy.

I like Pale Moon as it lets me open my tabs below the address bar.

I have to open some pages in Brave or Chrome, but otherwise it works well.

Is there a way to hide NY times from search results? Half the topics I search for now seem to link to NY times articles behind a paywall.

QUERY: the thing I’m searching for -nytimes.com

There is also an extension called Personal Blocklist. That will allow you to do it permanently. You can go to the site, then click the icon on your bar and select the “Block xxxx.yyyy.zzzz”

The only small issue with it is that the Chrome pop-outs aren’t filtered. Not sure how to do that without what Woolen_Horde mentioned.

As an example, if I block the nytimes.com domain like so:

I still get these:

But my actual search results look like so:

Notice I didn’t block the newyorktimes.com site. You’d need to filter all of their link domains.

Works beautifully! Thanks! Even if the Times’ coverage of Covid-19 is great, having the top twenty results behind a paywal, and with an enticing headline, was driving me crazy.

Deleting cookies still works. There’s probably a userscript or extension that automates it.

Firefox has a paywall bypass extension.

There’s one for Chrome too. Has to be manually installed

For this, thank you.

On my phone I never get the paywall for whatever reason. (Using the official News apps on Windows Phone and Android IIRC.)

Those are promoted articles.

There’s always Edge. It’s everything nice about Chrome, without all the deep plumbing to Google.

Reading Google’s document, they seem to be taking a reasonable stance, assuming the mitigations against timing attacks and cooldowns to slow data exfiltration were implemented before GA release.

It did it again. 50+ tabs, gone.

Time to check out Edge.

I still find it baffling how you guys need some many tabs?? I max out at about 10 or 15, and the normal usage is probably about 4 at a time. Do you just hate bookmarks that much that you rather keep an open tab around than link it in your bookmark menu / folders for later use?

I play a lot of games and I open tabs to research stuff. I keep the tabs open when I lose interest because I never know when I may regain interest and go back to the game. I know I had 3-4 Conan Exiles tabs open, and 3-4 Pathfinder Kingmaker tabs open with specific class builds. There were some YT videos I was watching but had not finished.

It’s stuff that I’m exploring that isn’t quite worth of being bookmarked forever, but I’d like to keep it around for a few months.