Chrome Has Gone To Hell

I have a new laptop and decided to try the new Edge on it because why not? I like it a lot. It’s chromium based, anyhow. The Collections feature would work well for what you describe, I think. It’s easier to manage than traditional bookmarks.

You can delete bookmarks when you’re done with them, dude. :)

Its scary at times how alike we do stuff :-D

I’ve got about 30 tabs open at the moment as I’m working on a feature article. It’s giving me serious anxiety. I don’t normally keep more than about five open.

Install a tab saver extension if you’re really concerned. I used to use one on Firefox when it would lose my open tabs occasionally upon crashing but that hasn’t happened for years now.

I have a zillion bookmarks, but rarely more than 8 to 10 tabs. I use desktop scaling in Windows, so the tabs end up taking more space than usual.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to move between tabs?

Ctrl-Tab cycles through them the way Alt-Tab cycles through apps in Windows.

That’s what I was trying but it doesn’t work in Chrome. Odd.

Very odd. I tried it to make sure - in Chrome - before hitting “reply”.

Ctrl-PgUp / Ctrl-PgDown.

It works in chrome. You must have a stuck key (alt maybe).

If that was aimed at me, I’m not concerned about losing them. It’s simply having them open at all that’s anxiety-inducing. I freak out when I look at someone else’s screen and see a bunch of open tabs too. It’s like people who just have a wall of files on their desktop. Or the iOS homescreen for that matter.

It’s funny to me hearing complaints about chrome because it doesn’t handle tons of tabs well, because one thing I really hate about chrome is how it handles minimal tabs!

I use Firefox everywhere but my chromebook (for obvious reasons), and in all cases I try to keep minimal distractions as possible, so I frequently only have one main tab I’m dealing with. So lets say I’m browsing hacker news, I read all I care to do and I want to switch to QT3. How do I do that?

In both browsers I can move my mouse to the address bar, type the url manually and hit enter, but that’s slow.

In Chrome I can click + to get to the new page screen on a new tab, click the hacker news icon that’s pinned, then I have to manually close the previous tab.

In firefox I only have to click the home button to open the new page screen in the current tab and then click the hacker news icon.

Yes it’s an extremely small workflow thing but it really does annoy me that I can’t easily get to the new tab page within the current tab easily. Since I have to deal with that in chrome sometimes I accidentally close the current tab in chrome first before going to a new tab which closes chrome as a whole (same in FF but I rarely need to close my main tab because of this workflow).

You Windows guys with all you clicking. :-)

Opening QT3 with Safari on Mac:
Qt3 in the same tab: Command-L type QUA then enter.

New tab: Command-N type QUA…
Or Command Space, type QUA…

Switch between tabs with Option-tab

To be fair, my chromebook is mostly used while in bed laying down on my back, so I don’t usually have both hands on the keyboard when I’m just browsing.

Actually that’s true for me as well when I’m browsing at my desktop as well. I don’t usually keep my hands on the keyboard if I’m not actually typing as I feel like it’s restrictive. So moving my hand to the keyboard to control+L is more work and time than just clicking.

I don’t leave my hands on either mouse or keyboard, but if I am going to do something the keyboard is quicker and much more efficient. Typing out your workflow, it just looked so tedious, but it’s really not that bad in practice.

On Windows, I use the mouse for everything. Surely there are equivalent shortcuts though.

Yeah at least on firefox control+L does the address bar (never knew this) but despite my years on Linux using i3wm a lot of things are more intuitive to me with the mouse shrug

TMI

If you’re on a desktop, why don’t you just use the bookmark toolbar? I just middle mouse click the eyeball & switch to an open tab of Quartertothree, no typing or tab switching required.