City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

Still got quite a ways to go in development, but based on that article and the video they had on it I’ve put in on the list. Hope it turns out well.

It’s been in my wish list for some time, due to the aesthetic and some design choices. Not a fan of the idea that it’s “a much more relaxing city builder than Cities Skylines”, which looked great but got boring fast. I don’t need Frostpunk levels of failure, but the system has to push back some!

I rather liked the fairly broad set of options provided in Rimworld. You could make it a wide range from pretty peaceful builder to hostile environments with frequent raids of increasing severity. Coupled with an end goal if you wanted to pursue it.

Yes, I’m also a big fan of that design decision.

15 posts were split to a new topic: Dawn of Man: brain dead and buggy or low-key charm?

Just had time to look over Foundation and it does look like a very good builder. Love the grid-less focus. But no EA games for me so I’ll see you in a year, Foundation!

Watched a few Foundation Let’s Play videos this weekend. Looks pretty good already, especially their grid-less approach. But like you I try to refrain from early access so holding off for the time being.

I stumbled upon The Spatials today. It looks great. Has anyone tried it?

Yep! It’s quite fun for a spell, but wore me down a bit as time went on. Cute characters, definite ST vibe with weapons and outfits, decent tech tree, but in the end it was just a little too samey in the game dynamics to others I’d played to keep me returning again and again. That said, I’ve been thinking about giving it another spin in the future (there have been some updates since I last played). Certainly worth buying on sale (which it commonly is) and giving it a go.

Thanks. I’ve wishlisted it!

since they were on sale (PS4) I bought Planetbase, Aven Colony and on PC Surviving Mars (discounted on Humble Store), Northgard from the Monthly bundle and finally Banished (regular price).
I think I have the colony builder fever.

I am quite addicted to Planetbase (the previous game from the Dawn of Man makers). It has not a lot of building options, but that makes it really easy to control with a gamepad on the PS4. After some failed starts, I now have a base with 70+ colonists, and I am working on my next milestone to get 100. It is quite relaxing most of the time. What I really like is the little bit of uncertainty when you expand and add more colonists. Will you have enough food production? Because in this game, when you die, you die because of not enough food. So keeping the balance is the challenge, and I like it.

I put Northgard to the side for later, because it is quite the opposite of relaxing, a RTS where quick clicking is mandatory (so it felt that way)… but I will come back to it later.

Banished is very similar to Planetbase, except the setting. I paused the game after 20+ settlers, because of Planetbase, will come back to it. Amazingly, the game is only 200-300MB on the harddrive (vanilla), probably because a lot of assetts are proceduraly generated?

And I tried the tutorial to Surviving Mars. This looks like it will get me hooked, I like it so far. Lots of more resources to manage, I read it is not that challenging, but that’s not really the point for me when playing colony games, I am looking for the balance aspect when expanding and building the perfect working colony…

Aven Colony, I didn’t look at it yet, but someone wrote this is the real Planetbase. I hope it works good on the PS4 with the controller.

I wouldn’t say that at all.

Factory Town comes out today. Looks like Factorio meets a City Builder.

Yeah, you’ve completely misread Northgard. It’s an RTS, sure, but very much the slow, methodical, almost-a-boardgame kind of RTS. Reflexes are absolutely not central.

Whoa, I’m really digging the look of that.

Hey did anyone end up sticking with Dawn of Man? I checked it out but it pretty much went over like a wet fart with me as my list of annoyances with the UI kept growing over time rather than shrinking, and the sandbox emphasis left me feeling aimless (I am not a huge fan of sandboxes in general, so I’m totally willing to put that down as a “me” problem when the game is really just doing what it said it was going to do).

I played through the first scenario, ticked off all the milestones and saw all the ages. And I’ve felt done ever since. Briefly started a more difficult scenario, but found nothing to keep me playing.

Roughly the same here.
I thought there was hardly any ‘game’ - there are no decisions to make, there is no strategey required, no real problem solving… it’s just like one of those things where you connect dots and get a picture… there’s not much to do besides connecting the dots an watch. Well, it’s nice to watch. Relaxing. 10 € for 10 hours of watching little Stone Age people evolving… would have been the better entry point.

@inactive_user I also thought the UI was horrible, but it really didn’t matter in the end. I just needed food numbers… and that was that.

So kind of like Banished?

Yeah, and it’s good. Really good. I think it has a lot of depth, having just played an hour or so.