City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

I played it a bit. It has potential, but it’s still very early access. I needs at least a year more to bake into something more streamlined with more content.

Anyone play this Townsmen game?

It got a new dlc today!

Hmmm. I think I have played a mobile version of Townsmen. Wonder how it compares. The mobile version is pretty solid, for a mobile game.

Yeah, I agree about Townsmen on mobile. I don’t know how this particular version on PC differs, though. Be curious to check it out.

Huh, so RimWorld got a DLC/expansion out of nowhere to go with 1.1 hitting stable.

Yeah, for a long time, Townsmen was the only “proper” city builder available on mobile. Admittedly that was back when I was playing games on a Nokia N95.

It was definitely the best I’d found until I discovered that they ported Tropico.

Holy shit, so they did!

It’s a really solid port, too. I’ve been playing the hell out of it.

On phone or tablet? Does it do okay on the small screen?

I have a Pixel 2 XL and it’s working just fine on there. I mean, YMMV of course with phone gaming in general, but it works quite well. I’m sure it would be BETTER on a tablet, but if you can manage gaming, in general, on your phone, I expect you can have a wonderful time with Tropico.

Sigh, there is no way I am not buying that. Thanks for the heads up.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. :-)

In non-Tropico news, thanks to Gamepass for PC I finally got a chance to check out Surviving Mars – totally missed it when it was Epic’s free game, but just dipping my toe in in the first few minutes, I think I’m gonna really like it. I’m generally always pleased with Paradox games, and I definitely see their fingerprints on it, but the city-building angle looks like it’s going to be just right. I mean, I’m VERY early in, still going through tutorial missions, but I think it’s gonna be a fun time.

So I do not know if many people keep up with the Caesar III scene around here. You might be surprised to learn that there is an open source (written in C) recreation of the game, gets around legal issues by requiring and hooking into the original C3 game. Anyhow, due to the game now essentially being open source it has opened it up a ton to some fairly extensive modding. Early days so far, but one fork of the open source project has achieved stuff like introducing optional toggable features that were present in later games like Pharaoh and Zeus. Features such as road blocks, Zeus’s global labour pool, increasing number of military forts that you can build, control over what markets sell/fetch, and other small QoL features.

Included the video below for anyone who wants to see it in action on a community created scenario/map, and know more.

If I had to pick my all-time favorite city-builder, there’s a very distinct chance that I would pick Caesar 3. Therefore, I welcome this news, thank you!

Oh wow! I adore the Impressions games, but haven’t gone back to Caesar III because it lacks some of the features of the later games I think are basically essential. Thanks for mentioning this!

N.B. This appears to be where the project lives:

Yeah, while the fork/version with all the gameplay additions can be found at:

What’s the difference between the base Julius project and the fork? Essentially this:

“The objective of the base version of Julius is to improve the usability and experience of Caesar III. Changes to gameplay or more fundamental modifications are not the purpose of Julius. However, the project is open source, meaning anyone can pick up the code and change things further, which is what Keriew has done with the implementation of things like roadblocks and a global labour pool as options. This also means that the base Julius is fully compatible with vanilla Caesar III save game files while Keriew’s version most likely isn’t compatible with your existing save games.”

A toga toggle?

A version for the Switch even… hot dang.

Something I saw earlier.