City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

That looks like a false color electron micrograph of an Intel chip.

I consider stuff like They Are Billions, Banished, Kingdoms and Castles, etc to be a survival subgenre of the city builder.

I was about to say just that. Just so you know you’re not the only one.

Are city builders and colony managers really the same thing? I’d say the former are more about logistics and resource management whereas the latter is basically this:

Games like Anno and Rimworld really aren’t comparable imho.

A bit off topic, but what cartoon is that video from? It reminds me of Invader Zim, but I do not recall such a scene from invader zim.

You’re right, it is unmistakeably ZIM. :)

It’s Lard Nar the Vortian, leader of the Resisty. The episode is “Backseat Drivers from Beyond the Stars”, the first of season 2. :)

Thanks for that info. Its a crime that the series was canceled.

Agreed, one of the great injustices of our time. So many unfinished episodes we never got to see.

But at least there’s still the hour-long TV movie later in the year (fingers crossed)!

I’ve been enjoying Rise to Ruins of late. It has the same level of worker control as Banished with more of a threat (monsters attacking at night). You can also establish multiple colonies on the same world and jump between them if you want. It’s pretty polished for early access.

Also: another vote for Factorio being awesome, though I really have no idea how to classify it.

My favorite genre! My wishlist is loaded with a bunch of EA ones I’m waiting on. Here’s a couple I haven’t seen mentioned already:

Saelig
The Guild 3
City of God I - Prison Empire
Regions of Ruin – this one is iffy to fit in this category.
Academia: School Simulator
Airport CEO
Another Brick in the Mall
Aurora Dusk: Steam Age
Citystate
Epic Tavern
First Feudal
Freeholder
Frostpunk
Galactic Crew – also iffy
Genesia Legacy: Ultimate Domain
Hammerhelm
Legends of Ellaria
Maia
Mercury Fallen
Project AURA
The Spatials: Galactology
Unclaimed World

I haven’t played any of these - just thought someone might be interested and/or find something new.

Regions of Ruin is much more an action/platform game. The building part is you can choose where to place your village expansions and when to upgrade. I really don’t count it in the categorie of a City Builder…

This isn’t a city builder, what the heckfire. It’s an FTL clone with more meat on its bones than FTL.

I’m not sold on Regions of Ruin, but I think it definitely fits, because I think Kingdom: New Lands (the game that clearly inspired RoR) also belongs.

Kingdom: New Lands is one of the most fascinating and wonderful takes on this genre that I’ve played. Taken together, both games have far, far more in common with city builders than they do with platforming. I don’t consider either to be a platformer, frankly.

I played the Spatials, and found it thoroughly enjoyable. It reminds me a little bit of Startopia, actually, but that’s probably because of the space theme. Nothing has ever been as good as Startopia as colony managers go. ;)

Really looking forward to Frostpunk. Isn’t that a couple weeks away now?

I was thinking it may have fallen under the umbrella of “Colony Manager”. I haven’t played any of these games to know for sure.

I can’t figure out if you’re failing at funny or just being a douche for no reason.

Likely the first.

That describes Dr. Cox perfectly. :P