City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

All those screenshots on Steam, and no beaver dam’s. Seriously?

Great find! To my eyes, this has the perfect amount of innovation vs. traditional features. Hope they pull it off.

Haha that looks wonderful!!!

My sister was kind of surprised she had like 20 something games on her wishlist, thinking she had all these games to pick from and didn’t buy any this sale. I have 90.

I would say a good chunk of those are simulation and city-builder games that are either in EA status already or going to be released someday. I don’t know exactly what I am looking for, but I keep hope at least one of them, just one of them will give that magic something I love about the genre.

I’ve got 299 (it’s… too many), but I bet a good chunk of yours overlaps with mine!

To be fair, I do go back and clean them up after a bit.

More than half of the city builders I want to play are in EA right now.

I have 35 games on my wish list. that fall into the City Builder / Manager / Colony Sim / Base Building category. I’ll be happy if just half of these come out this year. I feel it’s a pretty comprehensive list, so I’d be curious to see if anyone has a game from this genre on their wish list that’s not listed below.

Here’s a list of the CBCM games from my wish list that are out in EA now:
No Place Like Home
Odd Realm
Orc Colony
After the Collapse
Buoyancy
Creo God Simulator
Atomic Society
First Feudal
The Last Haven
Colony Survival
Volcanoids
Stationeers
Endzone - A World Apart
Space Haven
Flotsam
Eden Star
KeeperRL
Empires of the Undergrowth
Good Company
Embark
Kingdoms Reborn
The Universim
Ostriv

Here’s another list of announced CBCM games on my wish list that aren’t available yet:
Spacebase Startopia
Ancient Cities
Evil Genius 2: World Domination
Akhenaten: Rule as Pharaoh
Farm & Fix 2020
Metropolisim
Dwarf Fortress
Going Medieval
Timberborn
Hell Architect
Dream Engines: Nomad Cities
Against the Storm

Then there’s the small list of games in EA that I’ve already purchased:
Medieval Dynasty
Foundation
Satisfactory
Kubifaktorium
Surviving the Aftermath
Mercury Fallen
Factory Town

@Spect
That is quite the list but I think you missed one:

Wow thanks @geewhiz! I hadn’t seen that one yet. Adding it to my WL now.

We are in this together! : )

@Spect

Not sure if this counts as a city builder (it is tagged as Base Building/Colony Sim) but I see Space Haven on your list:

Oh boy, that was hard on my wishlist… Thanks a lot for this list. I did have some of them on my wishlist already, including a few more:

Imagine Earth
Ymir
Folk Tale
Builders of Egypt

I own this one, but I didn’t list it because I’m pretty sure the devs gave up on it, and it will never reach 1.0

Thanks for the others, though, and again to @geewhiz for Starmancer. I’m adding these to my list now.

edit: hmm looks like I already own Imagine Earth too. Wonder why it’s not in my play list. Steam says I played it for 3.4 hours.

Oh I found another with adding the games mentoned above. It’s called Orc Warchief.

That makes 2 Orc colony sims now coming soon.

Yeah, you can put a pretty heavy scratch on Folk Tale The developers have abandoned it completely, and Steam happily accepted the developer’s request to de-list it from sale on the platform. I don’t believe it can be purchased anymore.

Stop posting, I just cleaned my wishlist up a bit this past week, and now this…

Don’t forget to add the one @jpinard posted awhile back:

Terra-Nil that @Nightgaunt posted awhile back:

Oh and a few others that might have been mentioned?

https://www.neolithic-game.com/

I’ve honestly stop wishlisting or following City Builders. I actually used to track them in a spreadsheet…and so very, very, very many of them either never actually landed, or came out of EA or got abandoned, or got pushed out of EA in a buggy, alpha state and were then abandoned that it’s just not worth it to me.

When a good one shows up, it tends to make enough noise amongst folks I trust to investigate then, and not sooner. These are wishlists with lots of magic beans in them.

All added. Thanks!

@triggercut Totally get what you’re saying, but to me, the wishlist on Steam is the perfect place to keep an eye on these games. If they never come out of EA, then they’re just taking up a slot on the WL, which to my knowledge is unlimited. Easy enough to filter out EA games from your WL if you don’t want to see them.

Oh, I know. I am very stingy with my wishlisting habits. It’s for games I’m 90% sure I’m going to buy. And there are city builder games that I so wanted to work out, games that I absolutely wanted to play the hell out of that just went nowhere and made me really bummed about one of my favorite game genres. It’s better for me to simply pretend they don’t exist, until they almost kind of really do and they’re good and I can jump in with both feet, or they’re awful and I can relegate back to nonexistence in my mind.