City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

Here’s a new one - High Rise City.

There is a demo available during Gamescom (so I think approximately between Aug 25-29) if you want to give it a shot.

Is EA ever going back to the Sim City IP?

Sure they will. When they can figure out how to do Sim City Ultimate Team.

This arrived in early access today.

For that price, its hard to resist.

I think someone needs to set up a website comparing and contrasting all the Mars colony builders. It feels like there’s so many of them and I can’t keep straight in my head how they differ from each other. That is, assuming they DO differ from each other!

Indeed we need an excel sheet set up. :)

I think Mars Colony Builder hits early access is next year, but the steam page just says TBD.

Looks like Distant Kingdoms will forever remain, distant…

Dang it I was really looking forward to this!

The city sim genre really is the Afghanistan of game dev.

Early access of course, but it looks good and I’ve been following for a while. For that price, I’ll surely try it.

Ahh crap. Of all the announcements and EA titles, this was the one I was looking forward to the most. Here’s the statement from Steam.

It is with regret that we must inform you that our development partner for Distant Kingdoms, Orthrus Studios, has ceased trading and is therefore unable to continue work on the game.

While we are surprised and disappointed at this news, we are looking into various options whereby development could potentially continue. However, in the interest of transparency, there will be no ongoing support for the game for the foreseeable future.

We understand that this is disappointing news for fans of the game and we truly appreciate the support that has been given for Distant Kingdoms so far.

Due to legal commitments, we will be unable to comment on ongoing discussions but we will endeavour to provide an update as soon as there is more news on the future of the game.

Was just going to post about this one, having stumbled on it while following the link to Distant Kingdoms to see the fallout. This one looks great!

Ah that’s too bad. I’m really interested in the games that are doing things adjacent to my project and see how those work out.

And just like that it goes to a VERY NEGATIVE rating on Steam.

Sheltered 2 out! And it’s not early access! What kind of craziness is this?

EA dropped today for Sphere Flying Cities:

26% positive reviews ooooof

It’s not doing great in early Steam reviews (as @Fenris99 just said). Sounds like it very early access.

Have we talked much about Timberborn? I just grabbed this one, and it’s pretty good. Still EA but there’s a game there.

Might wait for a sale though

This just left early access:

Got a key via Keymailer so I’ll be streaming it soonish.

I played the demo during one of Steam’s game jam things and it’s been my most anticipated game ever since. Waiting for it to cook a bit more in EA before I bite as well.