City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

Wanted to pop in here to respond to this recommendation.

I have a love-hate relationship with traffic management games. I often think I’ll love them but I often end up hating them.

Sweet Transit intrigued me - I’ve never been able to develop a shred of interest in Factorio, and in spite of Sweet Transit being described as “the trains from Factorio” I was still drawn to it.To check out Sweet Transit I went to my normal go-to YouTubers (including Katherine of Sky, who is as bit of a Factorio fangirl as you’ll find) and saw her having issue after issue - not just with the game, but seemingly fighting the UI, complaining about a multitude of things while playing - pretty out of character for her. Her difficulties led me to believe Sweet Transit was one of those games that was perhaps a bit interesting but not reallly my cup of tea. So I held off buying it.

However, a week ago I stumbled across adekyn’s Youtube videos of Sweet Transit. I’ve found those videos by far the best description of how to approach and play the game. As I watched more of his videos, the game finally clicked for me - not only did I understand it better, but I developed a new apprecation for the design of the game. Initially I felt the game was a big sparse but now it seems to me that it simply ramps up the complexity little by little until you look back that what you’ve been doing and say ‘wow, I did all that?’ Which feels like a pretty solid design.

It’s not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination but it’s engaged me in a way that many other recent builder type games haven’t.

Adekyn’s videos do a very good job of introducing you to and expanding upon the game. I’d never heard of the guy before but I highly recommend the Sweet Transit videos if you’re interested in the game. So thanks, @Ginger_Yellow for the rec!

Adekyn does a lot of train stuff - Railway Empire, Mashinky and so on.

Yeah, Adekyn is the reason I know how to do rail switching in Railway Empire.

Oh maybe I should watch him then because I could NEVER figure that out. Might you know the link?

I believe this is his most recent series on Railway Empire. It covers everything including switching:

Thank you!

That series is 11 videos long and probably 7 hours or so. Do you know offhand which one covers rail switching? I could use a refresher.

The very first video starts off talking about signals. The designers have done a lot of work on signals over the years so they are really easy to implement now. I “assume” that is what you mean by rail switching?

Yep, that and multitrack lines / switching between tracks. Thanks!

Anyone playing Sweet Transit in early access?

I watched this lets play and I am tempted to pick it up. Trains!

I just saw/read @Charlatan 's post from 5 days ago! :D

I watched the first half hour of that video on Sweet Transit. Looks fun! I like the tight focus on trains.

I bought it, and the tutorials are a must imho. Overall this could be a wonderful game once it hits 1.0.

Awesome!

That copy/paste function is very nice.

From the Manor Lords discord (cross posted to Indy games and Manor Lords threads)
———————————-

Manor Lords city-building demo is now out on Steam.

Download it here:

Apologies for the bugs - it’s still a work in progress, but hope you’ll have some fun nonetheless. After playing check out the demo channels like <#1025837726987210872>

Have a great day!

Charlatan - are you the developer? Not sure if you’re saying that or quoting it.

Everything after the first line is a quote from the discord, if I interpreted Charlatan’s post correctly. Also, he’s a Charlatan.

Yeah, as @Rock8man noted, I’m just quoting the developer, who posted this on his Discord. I’m not involved in any way with the game.

I’ve watched some streams and Manor Lords is gorgeous… I’m really excited to give it a go when it is released. I am a little tired of the European biomes and could do for some more diversity in the environments - but Manor Lords looks like a real winner.

A good overview of some upcoming* city builders, a number of which I wasn’t aware of:

• Cliffsides
  • Cloud Exiles
  • Complex Sky
  • Reefland
  • Infection Free Zone
  • Aquatico
  • City of Robots
  • Land Above Sea Below
  • Metropolisim
  • Synergy

*very loosely defined