City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

Industries of Titan seems to be getting somewhat close to 1.0, but I’d be surprised if it was before year end.

Settlement Survival left early access last week. I’m in my first game after 1.0 so don’t have a good/bad opinion now. I like how the tech tree has a lot of upgrade options for each building. It is confusing at first but offers a lot of development paths.

I guess TFM: The First Men went into early access on Steam today.

That graphic style is hard on my eyes. Not easy to discern stuff.

Against the Storm is on sale on GOG this week ($16.99). I’m sorely tempted cause it looks great. I do hate paying for games still in Alpha shape, though.

It’s in Early Access, but it’s way beyond alpha. Or, rather, I don’t think alpha/beta applies to the process used by projects like this that go early access and keep a roadmap and produce regular updates. Yes, in the traditional terms, the fact that they just added a new system to mining means they’re still in alpha. But vast swaths of the game are in release-ready state. Instead of alpha/beta, I’d think of it as “has been in player’s hands for over a year and has six months until 1.0.” That’s not a super clean designation, but… alpha/beta has never been a super clean designation, either.

Anyway, production philosophy aside, Against the Storm is one of the best games of the year.

It was well past Alpha state a year ago. In fact - I would say that if this was a Paradox game, then a YEAR ago would have been the GA, and what they’ve done since then is what Paradox would call 4-5 major DLCs… with more on the way in the next 6 months.

It is a VERY polished game, and they’re still adding new systems to it… and I have no idea why. They just like developing it :)

I went for it. Only played for an hour or so, but yeah, I think they’re doing themselves and their sales a disservice calling this “Early Access”. If this is Early, it very, very late Early.

What little I saw looked terrific. Plan on diving in fully this weekend, can’t wait!

I happened to notice that The Settlers has a release date of 12/31/2022 on Epic. I thought the the latest version they were working on had died. I cant believe they would release a game on the last day of the year so highly skeptical.

This thread is in fact 3 years old so I’m going to amuse myself and scroll to the top

I am pretty sure the new Settlers game is a massive dumpster fire of fail they are trying to pivot/change course/patch up, also I think I read on one of their forums or reddit, the original creator of the series who they brought back in 2019 , left the project.

Just mentioned this in the Indie Game thread:

Influenced by Rimworld (the lead dev created the Combat Extended mod for it) but in 3D and with more combat.

It hasn’t even reached EA yet…

Why would ashes be ascending? Must be a pretty low gravity world. :P

Now I could see Ascent from the Ashes as a title.

Anyone pick this up? RPS liked it.

Against the Storm (best city-builder of 2022, still in EA for a few more months) is on sale on Humble for 20% off + more if you’re a Humble Choice subscriber.

Against the Storm is super good, indeed. Very interesting take on the genre.

Found this during my daily queue check. Looks like it could be fun, still in EA tho.

Releases tomorrow:

Apparently there are 2 under water city builders releasing this month!

I hope these both turn out to be good!

I watched some of the Aquatico trailers and my main impression is that the font they use is very very small, and they have a lot of windows with a lot of text in them. I’m going to be very interested to see if they have a way to increase the font size.

Otherwise, it looks pretty solid. Looking forward to hearing from some early adopters to see how they like it.

If you have a Greenman Gaming acct you can purchase Aquatico for 18.67, which is a bit lower than the price on Steam.