City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

Guess the setting for this one. I’m not telling.

Is it in a utopian dream land where everything is wonderful and there are butterflies and the colour brown does not exist

Since you keep poking, it’s not even a similar aesthetic that I don’t like with some of these, it’s that the screenshots look interchangeable between them. You could show me a screenshot from this one and pretty easily convince me it’s from Endzone or that other one that came out at the same time that looked just like Endzone.

Not to keep poking, but I just got a promo email about this concept which may be the answer to abrandt’s prayers! (And I agree with them, so mine too!)

There’s an early demo (I say early not because I’ve tried it, but because the game is set to release in Early Access in May.)

A bright post-apocalypse!? BLASPHEMY! Looking at those screenshots reminded me that My Time at Portia(and I assume the sequel I haven’t gotten yet) was actually in a post-apocalypse that was similarly vibrant.

I’ve seen a few videos of I Am Future and it does look like a keeper. Reminds me a little bit of the game Dysmantle (although Dysmantle has more combat than I’ve seen with IAF).

Just saw this Splattercat video about Fabledom. It’s a fairy-tale-ish builder that looks absolutely charming. There are combat mechanics and ruins to explore (though neither of those things were in the demo Splatty played). Looks and feels very similar to Foundation except Fabledom uses a grid for building.

There’s no demo (perhaps there was one last week for the builder fest).

It’s got a very appealing aesthetic and what the demo allows looks really well done. This one’s gone on my wishlist so I can keep an eye on it!

Just realised this is out this month!

Aye, February 15th to be precise, for anyone who missed the announcement in late January.

Yep! Fabledom is on my watchlist as it looks great!

Got to reply to myself to say I believe I was wrong about New Cycle. I just watched a video of Party Elite playing it (not linking it but you should be able to find it on youtube if you search for him) and it turns out the game has a lot more meat to it than I initially found. Maybe I was being too superficial in my evaluation. I think the game might be pretty good and I’m adding it to my wishlist so I can keep an eye on it.

Lots of interesting builders coming soon it appears.

These two games were recommended in a recent PartyElite video. Both have Steam Next Fest demos available.

Desynced is a city builder with survival and management elements. Looks like buildings and vehicles are highly customizable.

Lakeburg Legacies is a city builder where part of what you do is arrange marriages and other lovebird type stuff - all in an effort to help your kingdom. So in addition to the city building and management aspect, there’s a bit of the matchmaker element.

Pioneers of Pagonia announced. Very little information, basically only artwork available for now.
It’s still noteworthy because it’s made by the original creator of the Settlers series, who also for a time worked on the upcoming Settlers New Allies before a split.
Announcing his new game a week before the release of that one is probably no accident.

EA planned for the end of this year.
From interviews: More elaborate production chains and economy with classic Settlers touch. Road building and job assignment. Less focus on combat, no rival kingdoms to fight. Instead you gain favour of neutral factions and settlements and fight minor threats like bandits. Combat is indirect. “no RTS” and no PvP.
30€ planned price point, focus on procedural maps, no campaign.

Nice. Thanks!

You can play Steamworld Build right now for Nextfest :)

Anything Settlers gets my attention. Settlers 2 anyway. It hasn’t been that long since I played it last, but it didn’t really hold up.

The “combat” and expansion is too tedious, but it is still a beautiful game. It was a joy to see the graphics and hear the sounds again, and the mix of logistics and automation still feels pretty great.

I know The Colonists is supposed to be similar, but that game could really use a proper art style. It leaves me cold every time I look at it.

That’s unfortunate. It’s an amazing and deep game and the little bots are adorable in action.

https://skidrowcracked.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/1540401726_733_The-Colonists.gif

I quite like Steamworld Build. It’s very true to the rest of their games in that it’s not very original, quirky as hell, and also kinda fascinating for it.

The lower level is Dungeon Keeper’ish, but the upper level is much more Anno than Settlers.

The aesthetics definitely lost something in the transition to 3D. It doesn’t feel quite as punk, and it’s really missing some cartoon outlines.

Well heck, I should give it a try sometime. I have almost gone for it a couple of times in the past, but yeah, those robots look pretty anonymous to me. I don’t want to rule the roombas!

I loved it!

I actually haven’t played any of their other games so obviously not a problem for me. But I have wishlisted one as a result of playing this.

Cardboard town is a turn-based card orientyed city builder with an interesting aesthetic::

Each turn you have a number of cards and a set amount of coins and yiu can play any of your cards that fit within your budget. You’re balancing the goal of increasing your population againstyy 4 different resources nd handling expansion and different events that pop up. I found it an interesting take on a city builder. Not really a pure builder though.