City of Brass (not the MtG card)

Don’t know anything about it other than the Steam page and the Jimquisition on it, but it’s apparently a first-person… Jim called it a “roguelike” but it’s not except that if you die the game ends. You have a sword and whip and buy loot in dungeons and kill zombie-looking things and genies and such. I’m doing a terrible job, watch the video.

Released today. I probably won’t get around to playing it for a bit but it still looks cool.

I’d love to hear your thoughts when you do.

Based on only about an hour of play, I can say it’s no Immortal Redneck.

-Tom

I like the theme to this and feel it is an under-explored area in gaming. That’s why I was sad that Mirage: Arcane Warfare never really got off the ground or found an audience. This, at least, puts it on my radar.

Mirage: Arcane Warfare just wasn’t fun to play. :(

I could see City of Brass being fun if it was multiplayer, with the traps and the twitch integration. But I don’t think they are planning anything like that, right?

It had it’s flaws for sure, but I actually kind of liked it. I even have fun matches with bots. I think it turned people off due to the slower (or more deliberate) movement and actions when the current trend is for a much faster pace and cadence. Seeing City of Brass just had me reinstall Mirage to dive into an Arabian Nights themed game again.

@AntediluvianArk, have you played Immortal Redneck? As you can tell from the title, it’s a lot less serious, but the setting is very much ancient Egyptian/Persian/Arabian hoodoo silliness. Also, if you play Guild Wars 2, the most recent expansion gets really deep into an ancient Egyptian motif. And if you’re into tabletop games, the Mummy’s Mask set for the Pathfinder card game has a lot of great Arabian style fantasy theming. Of course, Assassin’s Creed: Origins, which has some fantasy oriented DLC available.

I really like the theme as well, but I’ve been pretty happy to find it done up right in a few places.

-Tom

Thanks for all of the recommendations Tom!

I haven’t played Immortal Redneck yet, but I believe I wishlisted it based on your comments and just my own interest in FPS roguelites so I hope to play that soon. I do have AC: Origins installed but I haven’t started it yet, but it is another title I am looking forward to for both the theme and what appears to be a gorgeous world to explore.

The Guild Wars 2 expansion is a surprise to me as I haven’t been following that game closely. I used to play Guild Wars 2 and did enjoy many aspects of the game (the lavish aesthetic/environmental design, the considered lore, the flexibility of RPG mechanics, the variations among the weapons, etc.) but as much as GW2 does to differentiate itself from the genre it still is an MMO at heart and I never get along very well with MMOs. GW2 does respect the player’s time much more than most, but it still demands more of a commitment than I can give to games. That said, I will look up the newer expansion as it might be enough to get me to putter around the world some more. I also feel that GW2 is a game best played in the lazy hot days of summer.

dammit! Now im going to have to drop more money on more pathfinder cards. why did i come to this thread…

I like the name of this game.

I do too, though I originally thought it was the title of a Euro worker placement game and ignored the thread for too long. :-/

I don’t get the fascination with Immortal Redneck. I found it repetitive and boring.

So I just got this, and wow, those folks calling it “first-person Spelunky” are spot on. Really fun dealing with traps, and the whip is so fun.

It’s the orange to Immortal Redneck’s apple, so it’s not really the same thing.

Loved the MTG card though. Any type of mana for 1 damage was a steal.

So is this a must play? I’m into the theming and would like to make use of this sale if this game is something special.

And since this is free on the EPIC store, lets post some more impressions!

Also interest was so high for this I missed posting the 3 previous updates!

I got it, but why does it say Unavailable in the launcher?

It’s available for me - maybe exit/restart EPIC?