City of Heroes - Caverns of Transcendence

Is the Caverns of Transcendence trial a real pain to assemble a team for, or are people always looking to hook up, like the TF missions? Anyone here interested playing on Virture server interested in hooking up?

I’ve generally been playing CoH in two character groups (wife!) or solo, since I hate dying in random pick-up groups. Been pretty fun - 5 characters, my 2 mains are now levels 18-20 (non-healing defender and a blaster) - love the story arcs, the privacy of the instanced missions, and especially travel powers (what other MMO allows players to explore the huge worlds without grinding up to max levels - and from such cool vantage points?). I just like booting around trying to find exploration badges. Even though leveling is much slower than in WoW, I don’t mind it at all, since you’re always doing missions, etc. - and CoH has the most entertaining combat of any MMO

But realize that I’m missing out on some of the cooler stuff by not doing more multiplayer stuff on larger teams - did the Positron task force on the weekend and had a blast, even though it’s apparently one of the dullest ones. Did it in a small 4 member group - half way through the healer got disconnected, so the other-player-who-was-not-my-wife immediately quit. We continued on anyway, and it was actually a breeze to finish with just two players (a scrapper and offensive defender) - in fact, far easier than it was with 4. So we were thinking of doing something similar for Synapse - just getting a couple of people to join to initiate the TF, then trying it with a two-level 20 character group.

Then I was doing all the Hollows quests, which definitely are cooler than the initial low-level stuff that shipped with the game, and couldn’t figure out why I didn’t get the Caverns of Transcendence location given to me - so I went to one of the fansites to figure it out (even though I hate using spoiler sites for badges/missions, etc., so don’t unless I think something is broken) – damn, 8 people are needed to start…and finish the mission? That’s a real drag. Is it worthwhile doing? Possible to assemble a capable pick-up group? Or anyone here playing on Virtue server interested in hooking up to do it?

Hey Desslock:

The Cavern of Transcendance trial is probably the LEAST completed mission/tf/trial in the entire game. You know how people gripe about Positron? People hate the CoT trial even more.

1. by the time you get the CoT contact, if you’ve been playing normally (that is, just doing your missions, no street hunting to level up, no intentional debt to slow your levelling) you will have outleveled the trial. I think the max level is 15 or 16.

2. it is virtually impossible to get a pickup group to do it, as it requires much greater team coordination to complete than any other trial –

3. the current mission design almost requires certain powersets to successfully complete (invis/stealth/recall friend)

4. did I mention the hidden and extremely restrictive level range?

Most people seem to be waiting for “Flashback” to be implemented and are hoping the trial gets fixed in the mean time.

That said, your best bet to get a group for this trial would be to head over to the official COH boards and post a request on the Virtue forum. I don’t know if you know about it or not, but we’ve got a pretty cool SG going with a number of people from Qt3 and you might find folks by posting on our boards too: www.guardiansofthegoldenage.org

I believe you also can ONLY get it if you complete your Hollows contacts: the cop, the renegade Outcast (haha, outcast outcast…cough), and Julius. So the trial has a prerequisite of many missions that are in themselves pretty tough…

Most TFs, including Synapse, end with a fight against an Archvillain. Two people probably isn’t enough to defeat an AV, at least not at level 20.

Most TFs, including Synapse, end with a fight against an Archvillain. Two people probably isn’t enough to defeat an AV, at least not at level 20.[/quote]

Doesn’t it depend upon the level of the AV, or not really? Well, that’s disappointing news.

Thanks for the detailed response, Ryan. Doing some digging I see that the level cap is 15. Yeah, I was definitely beyond that with both characters by the time I did the Hollows quests - no wonder I didn’t get the location. I guess I have to emplar if I want to do it, or wait for flashback.

1. the current mission design almost requires certain powersets to successfully complete (invis/stealth/recall friend)

Why stealth/invisibility - because of the respawning enemies? It sounds pretty damn tough.

1. did I mention the hidden and extremely restrictive level range?

I hate all the hidden rules in MMOs, like the difficulty toggle, and this.

That said, your best bet to get a group for this trial would be to head over to the official COH boards and post a request on the Virtue forum. I don’t know if you know about it or not, but we’ve got a pretty cool SG going with a number of people from Qt3 and you might find folks by posting on our boards too: www.guardiansofthegoldenage.org

Good advice - thanks. (and nice site).

Most TFs, including Synapse, end with a fight against an Archvillain. Two people probably isn’t enough to defeat an AV, at least not at level 20.[/quote]

Doesn’t it depend upon the level of the AV, or not really? Well, that’s disappointing news.[/quote]

Well, you COULD beat Synapse with just two players. I did that at one point, just my tanker and an AR/Dev blaster (one 19 one 20 iirc). Of course, this was back before smoke grenade was fixed, so my tanker was able to pretty much laugh at the Arch-Villain the whole time. The problem there was that our combined long-term damage rate was just slightly higher than the villan regen, so it took almost 20 minutes I think.

Whether it’s possible now, I don’t know. I know the AV was a push-over the last few times I’ve faced him, but those were all 4-player groups.

It’s more fun with more peope I find, anyway.

More fun with people you know and/or are competent. The average random group is suicide, it seems.

It depends on group makeup and level to some extent. There are a select few builds that are capable of taking on AVs all by themselves, but I don’t think they can do that at level 20. For a TF like Synapse four players is probably best.

Transcendence is pretty short and it’s rewarding, but it requires more coordination than almost anything else in the game.

Simply getting to the mission area is difficult because it’s in the middle of the tunnels area which is filled with packs of trolls (and, since it’s a normal, non-instanced area, they’ll respawn eventually). Someone with stealth and recall friend or group invisibility can come in really handy here.

During the one time I’ve done it I quickly became convinced we would never manage the 8-person simultaneous activation part. Once we did I suddenly found I was having a great time. :)

They changed the Cavern of Trascendence trial so you can no longer exemplar to get in. You have to be within the level range.

Flashback has a vague ETA of sometime before City of Villains launches, so it’s not in the immediate offing.

When was this? I exemplared through it just a couple of weeks ago and I haven’t seen anything in the patch notes relating to it.

More fun with people you know and/or are competent. The average random group is suicide, it seems.[/quote]

That changes somewhat as you go up in level, but you will still run into people who are vehemently opposed to any sort of tactical organization. They will thin out, but they’ll still be there.

You’ll also generally have people who just want to want to motor through missions rather than have any kind of dialogue. If you don’t mind that, it’s fine, but I like to get into the Superhero spirit a little more.

Supergroups can be very handy for getting decent groups together, and the Guardians are a great example. If you’re not keen on that, build a Friends list of people you’ve adventured with who are the most fun.

Mehrunes, I’m not sure which patch it was changed in but it was undocumented and relatively recent. You may have got in just before the change. From what I understand if you’re higher than level 15 you won’t get in, even if exemplared down. There’s been some discussion on the official forums about it. Most are a bit puzzled why an already difficult trial was made that much harder.

More fun with people you know and/or are competent. The average random group is suicide, it seems.[/quote]

That changes somewhat as you go up in level, but you will still run into people who are vehemently opposed to any sort of tactical organization. They will thin out, but they’ll still be there…[/quote]

That’s absolutely true - and probably applicable to all MMOs – once you get to a character level beyond 40 hours in, or so, the quality of player goes significantly up.

You’ll also generally have people who just want to want to motor through missions rather than have any kind of dialogue. If you don’t mind that, it’s fine, but I like to get into the Superhero spirit a little more.

Same with me - even in the 4 party team we had for positron, one guy wanted to use superspeed and TP to the boss, every time – I completely understand that, if you’ve been through it before more than once, but I just wanted to do the TF we’d been assigned. It felt like cheating.

Supergroups can be very handy for getting decent groups together, and the Guardians are a great example. If you’re not keen on that, build a Friends list of people you’ve adventured with who are the most fun.

I have my own crazy supergroup, but I’d love to hook up with anyone playing.

My understanding of that trial is that you must have 8 people at the end to finish, so that if one person drops, you’re hosed…is this correct?

When I tried it way back, there were 8 things that had to be activated within a narrow time window (and it roots you once you start activating one). About 5 of 8 of the team quit before that point, as they kept getting themselves killed idiotically. So it definitely looks like 8. Just like those “Deactive N bombs at the same time” missions, except N=8.

I have my own crazy supergroup, but I’d love to hook up with anyone playing.

Seek out members of the Hangover of Justice if you’re looking for slightly silly but competent team members. I play Delerium Tremen, level 31 mental/empathy controller, Orpheo plays Smirnoff, a level 30 tanker, and Kaigen plays Swill, a level 30 grav/kinetics controller. There are about 15 or so other team members, but the above three are the most frequent players.

Yes. I thought fighting the eternally spawning magmites was the hard part. It turns out getting 8 people to cooperate by simply clicking on something at the same time is the hard part. The team I was on almost failed because of the following paraphrased dialogue:

“Is everybody at a rune?”

“Yes.”

“Yes.”

“Yes.”

“I don’t know.”

“Is the rune a glowing rock thingy?”

“Mine doesn’t do anything when I click on it.”

“Don’t click on it until we’re all ready!”

StupidHero87 has activated a rune

“OK, is everyone at a rune?”

“Yes.”

“Yes.”

“Yes.”

“Yes.”

“Yes.”

“Yes.”

“Yes.”

StupidHero44 has activated a rune

StupidHero87 has activated a rune

“I don’t think I’m at one.”

“Mine’s still not doing anything”

This all went on for another 15 minutes or so. We finally had the teleporter go to each rune and make sure someone was actually there. When we did get everyone in the right places, then came the joy of getting everyone to click at the same time, which took another 5 or 6 minutes. I think we finished the mission, finally, with less than 5 minutes left on the mission timer.

I’ll work on getting one of my characters closer to your level range (although could always sk). Man, I’ve never played an MMO where I found it harder to stick to one character.