City of Heroes: Homecoming

Everyone has a different patience threshold for character progress, of course, but as others have mentioned there are ways to go faster. Personally, I hate the farm/powerlevel teams because they bore me, but they do speed things along. There’s the double XP boosters that you can buy from the P2W vendor, definitely always have that going if you want quicker progress. Doing task forces is a great way to level quickly, since they have good XP rewards and are usually full teams (which have their own XP bonus). In particular, look out on the LFG channel for people forming the weekly strike force targets, which give very large bonuses. You’ll also often see folks in LFG advertising paper/tip mission teams, which will be good XP as long as the leader is higher level than you. Those are kinda powerleveling but I find them significantly less boring than the “sit at the door while the leader farms” powerlevel teams.

Ahh, I love the sewers! It’s where I go to try new powerset combos and get over the early game slog. Not as needed now with travel powers at 4 but back in the day no better way to plow toward travel levels. After that the game really opens up with choices and the quest lines are better imo so no more power leveling for me.

I did play this a bit when they relaunched this for a few months but not played much since. While I love the character creator in this having everything unlocked at once + what seems like a ton of new options since I played the “real” game (year after COV launch) made it borderline a pain to create/recreate what I wanted. I spent hours on it! Mostly enjoyable but MY GOD the choices! Hot Pink haried, zombie armed, robot legged, faerie winged, glowing, fire eyed, devil horned chick with a cool belt, an assault rifle and a hyena face? Sure why not… I’ll call her Badday Suzie but she’ll be a good guy. :)

That being said…redownloading now for the return of…Nor Easter! “Don’t mind me , I’m just blowing through!”

I’ll post here once in for group age if anyone interested.

In regards to character ownership…

I could not agree more and exactly why I love this game. No other game lets you conceptualize and build a unique character concept and actualize in the real game better. Add some light RP and then you find yourself playing as Sherlock Ohms and Dr. Wattson with a buddy and leveling and the rat chase just become background noise as you run around investigating crimes. Meanwhile, random people interact and participate for no good reason other than your own enthusiasm with your characters. What other game does a random pickup group start Rping along with you just because you nailed your concept so good and refuse to break character :).

Heh. I have a Tick clone called The Tock.

Heh, sounds like a storm defender. I had Force 9 and Eminence Front.

I’m currently playing a staff/bio armor brute named Honu (turtle). His battle cry is “Time for a shell-acking!”

That is excellent!

Speaking of battlecries, I still have all my old binds, including my movement and flight binds. I also still have the batch file I used to make rotating** taunts for Totally Rad. In talking with my son the other day about a character concept, I came up with an idea that could let me put a battlecry on a frequently used power and only trigger it occasionally. I really want to see if I can get that to work like I think it will and also has me jonesing to play TRad again. She was Rad/Rad defender originally, but I’d have the option to make her a blaster now (don’t want to play a sentinel)

**making a simple rotation that always plays the same order is easy. You just make a series of files where number 1 loads number 2 and so on until the last loads number 1. But what I did was have the batch file constantly cycle through the order and overwrite the same file so the order executed in game will vary depending on when a power is activated.

Those old binds should be very easy to convert to working order. Also now you can create popmenu’s that do all kinds of stuff for you and it is usable across characters so all your alts have access to them.

The unofficial Homecoming Wiki exists, which is basically the old Paragon wiki updated to what Homecoming has changed. It might be helpful to see if your bind commands still use the same syntax or you need to adjust it a little.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page

Yes, the binds all work just fine. No conversion needed. I had not heard of popmenu before, so now have some reading to do there.

I also have the files for Speed on Demand (which will create a set of customized movement binds for you), but have not tried to run it.

Totally Rad? That’s a blast from the past. I wanna say my orginal Nor Easter (yes, storm electric defender) may have grouped with her back in the day. It may have been my ice ice blaster Icearella? I dunno, nam ed is awfully familiar.

I forgot all about binding. Pretty much a requirement for pets. I got some research todo.

Probably. Icearella rings a bell.

I reimagined another old favorite yesterday. Recessive Jean was a plant dominator, but lives again as a Plant/Nature controller.

There’s a few good threads over at the Homecoming forums with MM pet commands. Here’s a couple, and I’m sure there’s more.

I HAD to stop playing i leveled 3 characters to 50+ and made like 10 more concept characters that i would gladly burn my time also leveling up. I had to stop, this is my crack.

You jogged my memory here by mentioning your character’s name… I vaguely recall someone in the Wanderers had created a character by the name of uh… Leukemia? Something like that. And the CoH mods made them change the name to something a bit more neutral. And it feels like Totally Rad was that name. Was that you or am I crazy (or both)?

Nope. That’s exactly it. She was my first character to get a travel power and I went joyously soaring over Atlas Park. Somebody reported me. The mod was very cool about it and let me take some time to choose a new name. In the end it worked out well, because the name change improved and solidified one of the best character concepts I’ve ever made.

Thanks for posting this and commenting on it. I d/l it and I am enjoying it. I have taken the 50% exp boost for the first few levels.

Just be aware the xp boost decreases influence gained from what I’ve read.

You can gain a lot of influence once you level up or even transfer some from one toon to another.

Just making sure they know. For someone new, it could be a bit problematic at first.

You get some drops very early on that can sell for tons of cash, and you can transfer/mail cash between characters. Max exp bonus at all times is must :P One orange drop that sells well will fund a character will full gear to at least the 30’s, and you usually get one of those drops every 5 levels or so, so it’s easy to fund new characters this way as well.

Define “very early on”.

A few things to consider as far as new character money goes. (There’s much more involved at higher levels as you start to deal with IOs, feel free to ask once that’s a concern.)

Around 500k will get you through the first 20-ish levels, buying new enhancements as you level up. That’s the standard stuff that you buy from vendors, not the specialty invention enhancements from the auction house. The game is perfectly playable this way, although obviously you can spend more if you want to make your lowbie slightly more powerful.

You can get 500k pretty easy by selling some of the salvage or recipes that you get on the auction house. Almost any rare (orange) salvage sells for about 400k, and you’ll occasionally find a recipe that sells well. Also don’t be afraid to just vendor your common (white) and uncommon (yellow) salvage and recipes. They’re not worth a lot, but they’ll help tide you over until you can sell that first rare, and there’s really no point in keeping them since if you need one you can just buy it off the auction house.

Once you have a character to 50, 500k is chump change. Even basic IO recipes at 50 are a fortune for lowbie characters. Then you can email the cash to yourself by just putting your global name in the To field.

Take advantage of friends! Send me a tell anytime (/t @ineffablebob, hi!) and I can email you starter cash.