City of Heroes: Homecoming

So far i have created 5 characters to play around with. There is stuff to remember, then the new stuff, it can be overwhelming. I am just focusing re-learning the basics :-)

I did my first taskforce. I kept seeing DFB and had no idea. It is Death from Below a low level TF or whatever they are called. If there is one thing i currently need help with it is the acronyms, though i do like when they post what level is required. So now my highest character is level 12.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Task_Force

Most of them go by either the contact or a quick acronym. Most of them are also Blueside (Hero).

Also you’ll see a lot of the Weekly Strike Targets (x2 merits). This is the schedule.

If you have trouble figuring something out, don’t be afraid to ask about it in the Help channel. There’s almost always folks in there willing to explain!

I went back into the game but for some reason my Jump Bind on my Logitech G502 will not work anymore.

Edit:
I got it to work - seems it was going back to default settings even though it auto selected the COH settings

The August update from the Homecoming team mentions that they’re still in talks with NCSoft to make the revived servers official. No final word yet, but it’s nice that they’re still actively working on it. Also they’re changing from City of Heroes: Homecoming to Homecoming: City of Heroes, which seems silly, but presumably someone cares. And they have a couple screenshots of new stuff that’s coming Soon™.

When I was chatting with @zenblack in-game recently, he mentioned that we ought to share some of our character concepts with y’all. Seemed like a good idea to me. Here’s a couple I’ve been running recently.

Hatted Cat (Illusion/Radiation controller)

The costume isn’t everything I’d like - there’s no way to make a red-and-white striped top hat, or a big red bow tie. But it’s recognizable, particularly when he summons his Phantom Army (that’s three temporary pets) with a quote about Thing 1 and Thing 2 (and a bonus Thing 3). He’s high enough now to have his permanent pet Phantasm, who I’ve named Sam-I-Am. In just another few levels I plan to take the Mako patron pool so I can use shark-themed powers in honor of the fish in the book.

Rick Roll (Sonic/Traps corruptor)

His description reads, in its entirely: “http://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6”. Getting the Dance Legend badge was a priority! I particularly like using Dreadful Wail, a massive sonic damage attack, while simultaneously saying in local chat: “Never gonna give you up, Never gonna let you down, Never gonna run around and desert yooooouuuuu…”

LOL, you are now inspiring me and making me want to create awesome characters like this.

That’s hilarious.

Perhaps the rebranding is in case they have to eventually drop the CoH name?

I have mostly been playing a staff/bio armor brute named Honu (turtle), who was transformed by coming into contact with a magical trident lodged in a coral bed. The staff set is great fun. I have been running around with @Oscuros revival of his classic dark/dark defender

I spent a bunch of time the other day trying to come up with a costume for Totally Rad, but didn’t hit on any thing I liked. Haven’t tried for Inspectre (my old Ill/rad controller). However, I did reinvision Recessive Jean as a plant/nature controller (originally Rad:plant corruptor)

And here is Deep Five, a Time/Water defender:

Warning: Image Dump

So to start off I’ll go with my favorite Tanker, Bio Armor/Super Strength. She is nigh invulnerable (I haven’t died on her in months), and satisfyingly smashing through everything like a speed boosted Scrapper. Rage crash? No problem.

Bio (A warning to amateur writers about unforeseen consequence?)
b2dbd961e79fc171879ced222abf27aa

Ready for action!

And last but not least, while playing with someone from Qt3 in an epic Troll cave we found a nice resting place (a different character).

Not a hardcore roleplayer, but I am proud of my MM concept character. I created her on retail as thugs/poison, liked thugs but hated poison. Changed to thugs/storm on the Homecoming servers, and I’m much happier with the way she plays.

Those are some great characters! I particularly like the costume on your turtle, @Misguided.

I remember the first time I went into Atta’s den, too, @zenblack. Good amount of dying with an inexperienced lowbie group, but we preservered and got him eventually.

I love me some Thugs, too, @J_Thomas. Back on live I had a Thugs/Poison that I enjoyed, but the playstyle isn’t for everyone. On Homecoming I went a slightly different path…Wanton Thuggery is Pain secondary and fun to play, though I do sometimes miss the sheer amount of debuffs that Poison puts out.

So here is my first character on CoH. My MMO instincts said “Go for a healer so you can find a group”. I tried to make the best Defender I could. Kinetic/Sonic, but when I got in the character creator there were all these crazy options and I kept falling in love with monsterish coloring and such that I ended up with this chimera.

Bio
5c97806b2ef13a1e09916e2528243aa1
She happens to be tiny

The reason I brought her up was because she has siblings of a sort. Here’s one she found! Fire/Kinetic Corruptor.

Bio

One of the cool things in the game is Winged Boots have their own Path Aura, but if you combine it with a base Path Aura you get swirling paths!

Nice! I’ve forgotten how to make a character that small

Female models are smaller than male by default but you can get some imp sized males as well. You have to take the legs slider all the way down along with the height slider to get maximum smallness. Also, being small makes you run faster, so with super speed you really feel like you are going fast.

I was thinking there was some other trick, like a temp power, but couldn’t recall.

I have been really enjoying my time with Homecoming. Been doing story arcs @zenblack, even go to team up with @ineffablebob, who when he is typing a message says something about him going to make a witty remark, and he was pretty witty.

I have learned that i am not terribly creative/original. I went in with 2 names for two of my characters and all were taken (sad). There are some creative people and costumes. I usually have to stop and look people’s work.

In case anyone would like to also claim wittiness (or something else), here’s the bind:

/bind ENTER “afk I’m typing something witty…$$startchat”

Can anyone explain the madness of the AH to me?

It hit the mid 20s where XP gains drop to a crawl and the game becomes a huge grind. So I got the double XP bonus, but of course that means no INF, which I also desperately need to purchase vanilla IOs. So I’ve been trying to sell my rare recipes, but it’s completely hit or miss.

The Market is fluctuating greatly right now but it’s mostly in a downward state where things are much cheaper. Certain recipes are worth a lot depending on what they are or what they can convert to. Since basic IO’s cost so little to make you would be better off using a few merits to turn into Enhancement Convertors then selling them off between 60-70k a pop (the convertor market is being flooded right now)

I guess that didn’t really help. Recipes are generally sold much cheaper because they are typically bought in bulk by convertor people to make and turn into something that will get a profit (fast). So they will typically target the enhancements that are more universal. For example: Luck of the Gambler. If you have any Rare Defense recipe your best bet is to build it, and try to convert it to that particular set, then in that set to the +7.5% recharge. These will net you 6-7 Million a pop. If you have a PvP recipe these can be converted into a Gladiator’s Armor +3% Def or Gladiator’s Javelin +Chance for Toxic Damage that will get you about 10-12 million. Other ones you might look out for are Miracle + Recovery (Rare Health set), Steadfast Protection Resist/+ 3% Defense (Resist Armor set) for ~4 million.

During the week the market is slower so your best bet to get a sale or sell for more profit is to put it up right before the weekend.

I’ve also heard that people say doing a Summer Blockbuster (it’s a 20ish TF that is only accessible from the TF menu that takes about 30 minutes you are always rewarded with an enhancement) and getting an Overwhelming Force can get you ~10 million though I’d probably list it for a bit less. Personally I only ever use the KB to KB one and that is only for specific builds.

Also if you have rare salvage that can get you 400-500k depending on the market (I typically lowball my own at 425k)

Red Fortune (Uncommon Defense Enhancement) is also very easy to sell for 2-2.5 million. There is one, I think the endurance one which is worth less, so convert that one to try to get a random better effect in the set and sell it.

Edit: More options.

I’m finding a lot of odd prices so I’m glad to see someone say the market is weird. Mostly I find the AH annoying. If there was a nice interface it would be sort of cool to search for cheap recipes and play the build and convert game but searching is so painful that I have little motivation.

Yeah in the very early levels you do a couple mission and level up and around 20 it takes more and more missions. @zenblack & I have been turning off XP gain so we can do complete story arcs (so we don’t out-level them). I find that enough to keep me interested and not paying much attention to leveling. Plus you get Merits for doing story arcs.

I am still kinda new to this, but if you want level up faster, join teams or TF. I dot know what server you are on but on some they have regular MSR (MotherShip Raids) which you are still doing something (as opposed to door sitting).