City of Heroes Issue 2 download begins

It hasn’t yet been activated, but you will have about a 15 minute download of content when you log out of your session, starting today. This download will enable you to access the Issue 2 content as soon as it’s activated without an initial download.

As a former MMO-hater, and current CoH evangelist, I proclaim this a good thing.

NCSoft and Cryptic Studios own my soul (at least from 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. EDT nightly).

Any patch notes for former subscribers, just to keep in the loop?

Try here. Bottom line, unless you’re a */Dev Blaster or Fire or Illusion Controller, it seems very good. If you’re one of those, you got beat with the nerf stick. Smoke Grenade, I think, everyone saw coming. Fire and Illusion, however, were blindsided.

The changes aren’t that bad, really. More nerfettes than full nerfs. :)

There are a lot of boosts to some archetypes, too. My defender will particularly benefit from the reduced endurance cost on his secondary blast powers. The major improvement in XP for door missions (roughly five times higher) will also be a nice reward for those who don’t care as much for hunting on the streets.

There’s lots of little “quality of life” fixes, too that just make the overall experience better. It’s a much more substantive update than the first one, I think.

I agree, except for Illusion. Full bend over nerf, at least in my eyes.

Try here. Bottom line, unless you’re a */Dev Blaster or Fire or Illusion Controller, it seems very good. If you’re one of those, you got beat with the nerf stick. Smoke Grenade, I think, everyone saw coming. Fire and Illusion, however, were blindsided.[/quote]

Thanks, looks like a decent patch. Capes, at last a skipable tutorial and respeccing is what really sprang out. A few more like that and I’d definitely resub for a month just to see what’s up.

I agree, except for Illusion. Full bend over nerf, at least in my eyes.[/quote]

I read through all the patch notes and didn’t see any changes to Illusion at all.

Power Re-specification (respec) is the big issue for me, mainly for my first character. Details here.

Another is the reduced endurance cost of Tanker attacks, and the change to Knockdown rather than Knockback for a lot of Tanker powers. A few will still have Knockback, and some will only have it if you slot at least one Knockback enhancement.

Resurrection/Teleport confirmation will be outstanding.

Reverse-sidekicking should be interesting, and, hey, the Kiosks will work!

I’m also looking forward to the mission/area enhancements (and the new villain groups), as well as the badges and the new visual effects at 30+. Capes I’m not too excited about.

The discussion on the Illusion Controller changes is here (PA = Phantom Army). Fair warning, it’s already over 100 pages long. From what I gather, they cut the damage output of both Phantom Army & Fire Imps by 50%.

I found it personally amusing that the one character type that allowed me to continue enjoying the game for an extra month got nerfed (that is, a Devices blaster).

Then I wiped it from my hard drive. Freeeeee!

Smoke Grenade & Smoke debuffing enemy ToHit by 100% was way overpowered. It’s no wonder that there are an army of x/Devices Blasters out there (especially Fire/Devices), and I don’t have much sympathy for people who took Devices solely for SG. For everyone else, there are plenty of good things in Devices. SG is still pretty useful, it’s just not the megapower that it was.

Well, yeah. But, still, the game would have been intolerably boring if I’d been forced to fight yellows again.

Fair warning is right. What a cesspool of a thread.

50% damage reduction is my understanding as well, with accuracy increased from 50% to hit to 62.5%. And imps get an increase in HP.