City of Heroes Issue 5 - RELEASED!

I think that stuff was all pretty clear (and sounds fine); the question is whether you’ll be able to play either game for one monthly fee, or if you’ll have to subscribe to both. I can’t imagine they’d make you subscribe to both, though. That would be a terrible way to draw in new players.

Pre-orders of CoV get two sidekick codes to try CoH. I strongly suspect
they’ll do an access pass like SOE do.

I dont agree with the COV model at all.

They’re doing the sensible thing, and you won’t pay an additional fee to play both games. Announcement thread.

I subbed to CoH for a month starting a few days back, after one of their trial periods months and months back apparently worked on me in a purely stealth fashion. At the time, I’d only played a few days, then shrugged and went back to World of Warcraft. Playing it when that latter isn’t active, and it’s a much more enjoyable game.

Rehabilitation is only level 11, a kung-fu scrapper on Virtue.
Global chat handle @drastic

While I eagarly await the next super hero MMOG, whenver that is, a friend of mine in the beta, says its just more of the same with a villian theme. So it is pretty much off my list of things to try.

It’s “more of the same with a villain theme” in the same way that shogi is “chess where you use captured pieces”.

–GF

Not according to him. Care to elaborate on what is differant? yes I know the archtypes are slightly differant, but the gameplay is still the same.

This is good news, especially since I got my CoV preorder box today.

As for what’s different I suspect the main thing is the PvP and the bases, though I haven’t had the chance to try either in the Beta.

The NDA is still up, so details can’t be given. But it’s different in some interesting ways. I suppose if you didn’t like the basic combat/theme/setting of CoH, CoV won’t change your mind.

The NDA is still up, so details can’t be given. But it’s different in some interesting ways. I suppose if you didn’t like the basic combat/theme/setting of CoH, CoV won’t change your mind.[/quote]

What if you just quickly bored of the whole “Kill stuff, run here, kill stuff” motif? I loved the setting, but the gameplay (even with the addition of badge acquisition) seemed pretty spartan after the nifty graphics and settings wore off. Go here… kill stuff… go here… kill stuff… very little narrative aside from maybe Task Forces.

PVE is still mission based if that’s what you mean, and it’s still an MMORPG with combat and levels and whatnot. What would have to be different in order for CoV to be added to your list of things to try?

That’s odd considering I just sent the owner of a massive multinational corporation up the river after an epic struggle involving employees kidnapped, murdered or made obedient with mind control, stolen DNA and cloned supersoldiers, colaboration with the greatest enemy humans have ever faced and an elaborately woven web of lies, deception lasting over 15 levels and spanning 3 mission arcs.

You’re next Nemesis!

And chess and shogi have different pieces, but you play them both on a square board and the objective is still to capture the enemy King.

If it helps more, you can think of it as a game of D&D, except instead of your party being fighter, monk, evoker, enchanter, and cleric of Pelor you’ve got a barbarian, rogue, conjurer, transmuter, and a cleric of Hextor. You can’t play exactly as you did before, though only the cleric can get away with playing exactly the same, but there is sufficient carryover that you’re not totally lost.

…in fact, the latter is probably a more apt analogy than the former. If you don’t have much experience with the classes in the first place, then yes, nothing has really changed. But (except for the cleric) the new classes play sufficiently differently from the old to make a significant difference in overall play.

Then again I’ve always enjoyed CoH on an atomic, combat-to-combat level, so perhaps it just makes more difference to me.

–GF

The NDA is still up, so details can’t be given. But it’s different in some interesting ways. I suppose if you didn’t like the basic combat/theme/setting of CoH, CoV won’t change your mind.[/quote]

It seems like MOTS to me, big time. Lots of repeat powers too, LOTS.

Oh right, nda…

It feels like the same exact thing, except the text calls you Villain (or still Hero sometimes but hey- its a beta)

What has me pscyhed most about the game is that I can create a supervillain group to take on my superhero group. I plan to create nemeses for other peoples’ characters, so we can roleplay (my friends on CoH roleplay very well). I also like the idea of having minions…I’ve said too much already.

the base raids are so silly though. I guess it’d suck if you were at work during one, but you basically from what I understand invite them to stop by the base for tea and crumpets and an possibly, an attack seeking to destroy your loathsome groups of so called ‘heroes’, so long as Tuesday at 8 is good for you? Oh hair being done? how about friday at 9? No I’m off to the nail salon that day, can I pencil something in for Monday at 11?

Some villany.

No, I love Superheros, and the setting was fine. Combat itself was totally awsome. However, the problem was there was nothing beyond that. So even if combat was super fun, after several months I got kind of tired of it. I sure wish WoW had combat like that.

One thing that would have really extended my playtime in CoH would have been much faster leveling, but much faster, I mean putting in 2 hours a day would net me a max level character in 1 to 2 months. That way I could have tried out a whole bunch of character ideas. As it was, I could not even bear the grind to 30, let alone 50 (or whatever the cap is). I had 10 characters though most didnt make it even to 20, with only two over 30.

If you don’t like CoH or got tired of “the same old thing”, yeah, you probably won’t like CoV. Without breaking the NDA, I will say that it is most definitely different and more involving than CoH, but at its core it still uses the same formula.

If you simply got tired of CoH because you went through every story and just wanted new content but still enjoy the basic gameplay, City of Villains should be a lot of fun. I only have one level 50, but I would imagine having several would start to get boring just like beating a single player game gets old after a while, even if it’s a really good one.

If you’re one of those people who, like me, still plays CoH and still has a lot of fun with it, the City of Villains release can’t come fast enough. :)

DeepT, I haven’t played a lot of MMORPG’s, but the consensus from those who do tends to be that CoH has fairly quick leveling compared to a lot of games. They’ve accellerated it even more with Issue 5 since they bumped up the XP for everything above level 20. Find a team that can do missions on Invincible and you’ll level very quickly. But I won’t try to convince you of anything, since you are vocally opposed to CoH every time it gets brought up here. Just walk away, man. :)

nah, it IS slow, but 1-10 is fast. very very fast.

My beef w/ coh is there are only rewards in any way, every 2 levels. In wow you have a good chance of finding something cool every single play session. In COH the time period between rewards gets longer and longer as you play, after level 14 or so, you’re looking at 1 week or more of casual play to get a single level that might not even gain you a new power. And to make it worse, at higher levels, you only get a power every THREE levels. Slots don’t count, as they are the dumbest idea ever to grace a game. 'What if we had a way to allow our players to enhance their powers, since they get them so slowly?" “ok, but make sure that there are no art assets at all and that they are required to be maxed at all times to prevent constant death”

Dont get me started on the required stamina and hasten thing, which wastes 2 more powers. (the devs have stated they balance as if every character has stamina and hasten ffs)

That said, I do still pop in for each issue for a month. And its the same crap, the ‘new’ p[owers nearly completely mimic old ones and dont add much that is new that I can tell. CoV does have some totally new stuff, but it seems to have regualr coh powers for about half the total amount of available powers. Which is ‘super’ dissapointing.

The leveling in CoH is slow compared to WoW…very slow, in fact. Even with I5. I also agree that there aren’t enough character rewards in CoH compared to games like WoW (or EQ2, DAoC…pretty much any other MMORPG). Honestly, if it weren’t for the roleplaying and the solid combat, I wouldn’t like the game. But those two things are better than any other MMORPG I have played. The travel is also very easy. So yes, it has its flaws, but I still really like the game.

As for base fighting, I don’t know how one would avoid having to meet at a certain time to have such fights. I suppose the problem is that it is like having guilds fight specific other guilds, rather than the more free-for-all combat that you can have in WoW and DAoC. But there are certainly ways to plan such events fairly easily. We already have regular meeting nights in the SGs I am in. Of course, the base battles may not be nearly as big as the developers have suggested (coordinating 80 people or whatever would be incredibly tough in a game with this sub base). But you could still have a couple of teams go at it. We’ll see how it works in practice though…