Civ IV: Firaxis is teh bias against Papists!

Only if you discover Music first.

Troy

[pure pnr fodder] How about if during the modern era anyone still with a state religion faces a percentage chance each turn of loosing a tech through lawsuit? :)

That would only happen if you were playing the Americans

How about anyone with the intelligent design religion can’t build universities? :)

Speaking of which…

What happened to the Theory of Evolution wonder?

Troy

And Mass Production.

It was changed to the “Theory of Evolution Controversy,” and then later dropped altogether because it was too controversial.

Rather than remove Evolution, they should’ve made it so if you stick with Theocracy for too long you start to lose techs you’ve already researched.

You should see the pretentious custom factions made for Alpha Centauri. Im almost ashamed to give a link www.networknode.org

Note to the Internet: Everyone cannot be an Anthropologist

Interestingly, the Social engineering in that game really did include ideological pluses and minuses but nothing so blatantly biased in any direction offend anyone EXCEPT fundamentalists

Offensive or not, you could do some scary killing with Miriam.

We’re talking from a cultural level here. Why should believing who died on what cross determine how your civilization develops? It’s easy to assume that the best civic is the last, but it’s pretty important to change them often.

As for that usenet idiot … well, he’s on usenet, and only replying to the people who took his bait. However, if this ends up on the lips of any talking heads, I’d like to invite everyone on a country wide tour to piss in all their mouths.

Because it has? Certainly at least as much as “Alphabet” has, since many languages don’t have one.

It’s easy to assume that the best civic is the last, but it’s pretty important to change them often.

Agreed. I change them quite a bit.

But this complexity - the idea that in some circumstances a country may revert to a police state or feudalism - is lost when it comes to religion where the entire game philosophy is “the more, the merrier.” You can restrict the spread of non-state religions in Theocracy, but that is only really useful to prevent spying, something that anybody with open borders can do anyway.

I’m not denying the difficulty in dealing with this in an appropriate manner.

Troy

And condoms. Don’t forget condoms!

Certainly at least as much as “Alphabet” has, since many languages don’t have one.

Intriguingly, did you know that every alphabetic writing system in the world – including Korean! – can trace its roots back to Hebrew?

Are you sure about Korean? Because unlike most other written languages that slowly developed over time, it was made up by a Korean king around 1445 (although it has been changed a bit since then) and the symbols are based off of the shape of your tongue/mouth.

…although a quick look at Wikipedia states that 5 of the consonants may have been simplified versions of Phagspa if that’s what you mean.

Actually, they can trace their roots back to Sumerian/Babylonian cuneiform. In some cultures this evolved into alphabets, in others this developed into pictographic symbols.

Troy

Yeah, though I think more that the cultural climate shapes religion rather than the religion shaping the culture. To think that Christianity founded in the same City as Taoism and Islam would necessarily behave the same way as the Christianity founded on our earth.

is lost when it comes to religion where the entire game philosophy is “the more, the merrier.”

If you can manage religious dominance, yes, your ultimate goal would be free religion. However if you simply took meditation so you had a religion early Theocracy would be a good way to disable whomever snatched up many religions, at least from receiving gold from you. Frankly paficism seems pretty good, the more I think about it. In a civilization that adopts the idea of religious freedom and diversity, yes, the more the merrier.

I always choose Theocracy. When your goal is to kill everyone and let God sort 'em out, it’s good to only have one god doing the sorting.

The gold bonus to an opponent isn’t huge, IMO compared to the culture and happy effect in your own cities. Build some cathedrals, monasteries and temples and there are very few downsides to multifaith societies.

This does not mean that Free Religion is always best. I love Pacifism because of the Great Person bonus, and the Organized Religion building rate can be decisive in certain stages. None of this invalidates the advantages of having four religions in a city once all the religious buildings are in place.

Troy

I forgot condoms. Goddammit, I forgot condoms! I can’t imagine a situation in which forgetting condoms could have worse consequences, can you?

The point of Theocracy is not its anti-spreading effect – that’s just a nice little bonus. The point is twofold: the military aspect, and missionaries. If you have a state religion, and you want to spread that state religion, and you are expecting an eensy teense of WAR when you do so, Theocracy’s your dawg.

In general, Civ 4 does a good job of making different civics viable depending on your situation and your goals. It’s not just communism at peace and fascism at war anymore.