Civ IV modding - can't believe I'm thinking of this already

I’m totally loving Civ IV. They did a truly excellent job with the game… but after just 2 games I already see 2 mods I want to make.

1. I like longer games, so I want to increase the amount of time needed to rsearch new techs.

2. I can see a whole 'nother “Civ” that plays like the Crusades. Make Religion a much more important part of the game. In real life the world is so religiously divided “Islam vs. Judiasm & Christianity” - that it’s just a fantastic alternative way we could play Civ IV. I know Sid couldn’t make religion too controversial - but we sure as heck can. Though I’m opposed to anything that alters the “Separation of Church and State” - (whether it be Christians influcening schools or Islamic radicals running Iran) - to play that kind of Civ where Religion is the ultimate weapon would be fun. :D

Just wish we had the real mod tools. When did Firaxis say they’d release them? Was it January?

Perhaps you already know this, but if you go into the custom game menu, you can choose “Epic” scope. That, I assume, cuts the number of years per turn significantly, thereby making everything take longer. That would probably go a long way toward addressing your first concern.

Yep :D But I’d like to tailor each tech to a specific amount of time.

I wonder if that Fallout mod was ever released for Civ 3.

/me walks away

Yep :D But I’d like to tailor each tech to a specific amount of time.[/quote]

All that info is supposed to be in XML files in your Civ directory somewhere. Should be quite easy to change.

I took a quick look at the subdirs and they are literally loaded with XML and Python scripts that seem to control just about everything in the game. Pretty fookin amazing. Hell, there’s even a pair of scripts for Pitboss!

Yep :D But I’d like to tailor each tech to a specific amount of time.[/quote]

All that info is supposed to be in XML files in your Civ directory somewhere. Should be quite easy to change.[/quote]

Yea I went through them as well. I can imagine the mod front-end would make it go , oh about 99.999999% faster :wink:

How moddable is it? Is it anything like the scenarios pack for Civ 2 which let you script events during specific or random turns?

I’d like to do a mod based on Turtledove’s In the Balance series of Books.

If i do get the game Taoism has got to go. Taoism was only really influencial in China and as a foil to Confusianism. It was the mystical, religious side of China’s spirituality and seems an odd choice.

The game is insanely moddable. The scripting and editing potential is huge. It’s not “that” terrible editing XML - but man it takes a lot of time doing it line-by-line.

The mod tools probably won’t help much with scripting, would they? Is there a nice documentation somewhere out there that shows where everything is though?

Mod Tools can make scripting significantly easier. Especially if you’re not a programmer. Mod Tools can have an outline of drop-down boxes that you assign via trigger points or pieces, and that makes makes it all much easier. Plus there’s no chance of getting a comma or period in the wrong spot - or some other keyboard artifact. Plus they can tie multiple files together so when you’re attaching scripting possabilities to something/sometime/someplace it edits all the different associated files together and transparently.

I haven’t looked around to see if anyone laid out all the file contents yet.