Civ IV on Mac?

Aspyr is working on this, but does anyone have any clue what the release window is?

Troy

Aspyr’s Civ 4 page links to Amazon’s pre-order page with a June 30th ship date, but you know how accurate retailer dates sometimes are. Inside Mac Games is also saying end of June, though, so hopefully you’ll see it then.

There’s some new information about Civ4 on Mac on the Civfanatics site including system specs:

http://www.civfanatics.com/

So early summer then.

I have a friend who played a lot of Civ 3 on his Mac, and think that this would be a nice gift when I visit this summer.

Troy

What I would like to know is if Mac players can play with PC players online? I have a friend with a Mac and I would like him to be able to join in with some other PC users I play with!

While the June date is still the target (no actual day has been stated yet), there are still some unanswered questions.

• They have confirmed ‘Succession Mode’ - so you can start on Mac, and pass the game to a PC, and then back again.
  • But I have not found anything about other Mac<>PC network play. Chances are since the saves are compatible that the ‘email play’ will be possible.

But also check your friend’s machine, because the requirements are pretty high for most Macs:

Minimum System Requirements
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G5/Intel chipset
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz or faster
Memory: 512 MB or higher
Hard Disk Space: 3.5 GB free disk space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600 or better
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200 or better
Video RAM: 64 MB or higher
Disc Drive - DVD

Mike

SAVED! My iBook isn’t fast enough to run it!

whew

(Civilization is always the game I have loved too much. Civ, I wish I knew how to quit you.)

I have a quick civ 4 question. Did they ever fix that problem with having to install their version of direct x with patches to the game? Or do you still need their version to run civ4?

Thanks for the info! I really wish we could play a Direct IP game with a Mac user, (Dammit why doesn’t he just buy a PC?) hmm… Mac’s can’t play with them and you can’t play without…oh never mind.

Never thought of that angle, Mac’s are starting to look a little more attractive!

With all that extra free time I could get a lot stuff done around the house, cleaning out the garage, painting, landscaping…wait a second why was a Mac looking more appealing again?

I have never had to install their version of DirectX? I just updated to DirectX 9c and I have never had a problem and I pre-ordered so I have gone through all the patches. There is a new patch out now too it’s (v1.61) or something like that.

ok thanks, its just that I remember around the time civ4 came out people had problems running it who didn’t install their direct x version.

If you used the latest DirectX 9.0c package then you’re fine. It’s just that when Civ4 first came out, the 9.0c package included with it had a few more files that previous 9.0c packages didn’t, so people who thought they already had it and cancelled the DirectX portion of the install ran into problems.

(A bit of a flub by Microsoft to release different packages with new functionality under the same version number, but it’s easy enough to fix at least.)

That’s Why!