Civil War - Not the MCU, Alex Garland and A24

I don’t expect deep worldbuilding since it’s a movie, but there’s probably some quick exposition about how Texas-turned-blue/California-turned-red or that they allied over a new common issue like water or whatnot.

The trailer already has stuff like a quick line about Nick Offerman being a three-term president, 19 states have seceded or how apparently Florida is doing its own thing too. Another forum showed a fractured map that briefly appears:

The amount of people who still haven’t watched Devs is shocking. It’s such a good series.

My friends were all like “You gotta see The Last of Us, Nick Offerman is serious and he’s amazing!” and I was like “I know, I’m way ahead of you”.

Maybe a big earthquake dropped all the coastal elites in the Pacific.

I figured someone would bring up Last of Us (didn’t watch it), but I had legitimately forgotten about Devs (also haven’t seen it). I should be clear that I never said that Nick Offerman can’t do serious. Just that, like Robin Williams, his comic energy and associations are always active in an audience’s mind and affect the drama. When the role is POTUS, I have to imagine he’s using that.

The premise has to be absurd enough for them to greenlight this as a fiction. Can you imagine them greenlighting an American civil war pic with the blue coast and lake states fighting the red states?

Play the game before the show comes out:

Yeah, I doubt the idea is to pit warring ideologies as they exist today, as to perhaps instead comment on how bad it gets if civil war happens. My guess is by deliberately pairing Texas and California, you’re commenting less on actual politics to focus more on the greater human condition.

My understanding from what I’ve seen is that it’s not really a Hollywoody disaster film, ie overblown improbable action sequences, the imagery is more about establishing the context.

Well, at least until the final act.

I dunno guys.

All I know is, a guy from the UK is the perfect person to depict U.S. politics.

I have been pretty ride or die for Alex Garland so far, but the trailers for this look ludicrous.

I think even if it’s a spoiler I kinda need to know why California and Texas would align to secede before I decide if I want to see this movie.

I think it’s probable that the why isn’t the point and that’s why the two unlikely/unrealistic bedfellows were chosen.

Besides, if we’re going down that road, why don’t we question why states would possibly secede from a US where Nick Offerman is president. That’s even more ludicrous!

There is some speculation that it’s about Offerman’s President being in his third term, which is actually something that would satiate my concern. Still lots of questions, and I’m not at all an unwavering Garland fan, so I’ll wait and see.

That raises all sorts of other questions.

I could see north California seceding. Aren’t there something like 5 million registered republicans in Cali?

Same. I think Alex Garland is great. A24 releases are almost always amazing. The cast for this looks awesome. I don’t think I want to see it.

Just hits too close to reality.

Even Men?

That was the combo breaker for me.

Annihilation and Devs both had issues. There was stuff to like about both, but those were already enough to knock him off the pedestal for me. Men was probably the biggest dip in quality though.

Heh… I thought Devs was fantastic, and Annihilation was good. Men… well, it had Jessie Buckley at least.

Here you go. The Texas/California alliance will not be explained.

…how exactly does it work that the conflict involves a coalition of the ‘Western Forces of Texas and California’; two states on opposite sides of the nation, and generally on opposing ends of the political spectrum too?

As it turns out, that’s a key thing for audiences to ponder as they encounter Civil War’s fractured world. “That’s embedded in the film,” teases Garland, speaking to Empire. “I tend not to spell things out in films. I sometimes feel overly spoon-fed by cinema, and so I probably just react against that. That question, why Texas and California, is a question that I want the audience to ask.”