Civilian Flight Sim thread

Yep. And the half hour load time via tape.

Something that romanticizes the golden age of flight, maybe even an alt-history to a degree with airplanes becoming the predominant means of travel and transport, would be really cool. Or let me fly sketchy transport missions in pre-war South Pacific in my Grumman Goose ala Tales of the Golden Monkey. I would love the heck out of that.

Oh man. Maybe some light RPG elements? You pick a starter plane and city. And then get a big map of the US that’s all fog-of-warred in. And then you go on flights to find new airports / monuments / natural wonders / etc. And then you get fame/money to upgrade your plane. Get offered crazy missions like crossing the Atlantic or finding Amelia Earhart. Also goggle/scarf upgrades. And lots of sepia tones / film grain. And old timey music on a scratchy sounding radio that gets more static-ey as you get further into the fog of war. Maybe some light economics/trading if you fly cargo from place to place? And then if you wanna go full on crazy throw in air combat / air pirates and we’re set :D Crimson Skies reboot anyone? :P

Raises hand.

That’s been on my dream game list for a long time. I have such a fondness for the feel and setting that I ape it in my own fiction. Another of my dream games (to build myself) is some combination of Mount and Blade overworld and hex-and-counter air combat wargame in a skypirates universe. (I’d also like to see the air combat version of that, but that’s much harder to do on my own.)

Welp, I’d love to leave my job for a career in game design. Who’s down? :P

Found this. If you see a panda scroll down for the article.

Crimson Skies on Windows 10.

Now to find the disk.

X-Plane 11 is finally available on Steam.

Man, I saw that yesterday, but forgot this thread existed. Well done.

Anyone bit on it yet?

Man, I just can’t get into X-Plane. It looks really pretty but I absolutely hate almost everything else about it. The cameras are completely obnoxious, their control layout makes absolutely no sense, I feel like the flight models aren’t nearly as good as FSX/P3D somehow… Or maybe I’m just too used to the awfulness that is P3D. I don’t know. :(

I haven’t touched XP since version 9 years ago but I had hard time making a transition from FSX to XP because of the control layout. I guess if I stuck with it it would become second nature but I already had a ton of payware addons for FSX and I was not in the spending mood to do the same with XP. Austin Meyer may be a great programmer but I still see he can’t make decent looking clouds to save his own life.

Yeah I guess that’s a big part of it too. The advantages that X-Plane offers aren’t yet enough to offset the loss of all my FSX payware. I need some PMDG level aircraft and Active Sky level weather at the very least.

I also sorta was never impressed with X-Plane’s performance on my PC. I mean, FSX/P3D aren’t great either but I’ve at least tweaked those to get the most I can out of them. X-Plane feels like it runs like complete crap even on modest settings. My PC isn’t top of the line, but 16GB RAM, an i5 and a Geforce 970 have been enough to give me good frame rates on high detail in just about every other game I run so I’m not sure what’s up. But when you have to crank the graphics way down you’re eliminating half the reason why moving to X-Plane would make sense.

I had X-Plane 10 before I had FSX, so I think I naturally prefer it. I did start using Ortho4XP to create my own sceneries in X-Plane (since I understand that payware offerings aren’t anything special), but Jesus, that’s a time-consuming process. And when most of the area around me is desert and scrubland, the payoff isn’t exactly worth the time.

The lack of any kind of VR support makes my purchasing decision easier.

I’ve owned every version of X-Plane since about XP4, I think, but have mostly toyed with modifying aircraft. Always preferred the environment and third-party support of the FSX/P3D series.

But wow, XP11 and Ortho4XP are amazing together. I can literally see my house from there. The scenery is huge and takes a while to generate (Yay Core i7-7700), but it’s so worth it. Gonna do Hawaii next.

I’ve only used the P3D version, but FYI FlyInside adds VR support to X-Plane, P3D, and FSX.

So Dovetail (the folks who bought the “consumer” market rights to FSX and did the Steam release) has announced their new sim, which will be going into Steam Early Access soon:

https://flightsimworld.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1RxSdoJzA

Announce video looks promising, but we’ll see how much of this is cool modern stuff vs new stuff grafted on top of FSX roots.

Now that we have Aerofly2, and Orbx let slip [the AeroFly devs] are develloping an autogen system, it would be hard for me to go back to non-photo scenery. We’ll see.

What’s an autogen system?

Auto generated. Essentially a sort of fuzzy AI thing.

Sorry I am a n00b with these types of things. Auto generate what exactly, the terrain? I thought flight sims like aerofly already have worldwide auto-generated terrain, with only some areas getting extra care? The fact you say AI makes me wonder if you mean AI planes flying around.