Civilian Flight Sim thread

Orbx stuff is great, but expensive. It follows the FSX add-on pricing model (also known as “holy crap I have spent way too much money on planes and airports”).

Orbx Innsbruck does look beautiful, though.

I guess Aerofly FS2 is out of early access? @Editer that is disappointing that they don’t have airport data like FSX did so you fly all over the place and land. Was that just an early access issue?

It’s out of early access, but there’s still a lot to do. They said they’re doing ATC, and it really needs AI traffic as well so hopefully that will come along with the ATC.

It’s not as fully fleshed out as Prepar3D or X-Plane, but those both have 20-30 years of development behind them. Right now this is an amazing VFR sim, and the best VR sim. Hopefully it will sell well enough to justify continuing to add more features.

Better than Il2? Im hearing moans about the flight modelling being weak in aerofly…

What if American Truck Simulator but with planes?

That’s kind of what upcoming Bush Pilot game Deadstick is aiming for. Their site is really disappointingly barebones right now, but The Flare Path at RPS had some information on it and you can find a short presentation video on Youtube.

The game is an open world “first person flight simulator.” You’ll be making decisions about if you should fly into difficult terrain or bad weather or wait that out. You’ll be able to get out of the plane to do pre-flight checks, do maintenance and even load your own cargo.

How you load cargo will be important because it will affect the weight balance of your aircraft.

Doing pre-flight checks will be important, for things like oil levels and water in the fuel, but also more mundane stuff, like if you forget to remove the pitot-static covers before take off then you’ll be flying without an indicated airspeed.

Planes will be highly customisable for both looks and equipment. You’ll be able to change paint patterns and colours, tyre sizes, instrument options and even wing edge and end design.

Initial focus is on a small open world - something like a fictionalised Florida panhandle - where the detail is important and becomes familiar as it becomes your workplace. Other areas, VR and multiplayer are a potential, depending on how well the game does.

Release target is the summer of 2018.

Shit. I’m in!

I saw this on the Flare Path and had to clean up a little puddle of drool. I spend so much time flying fast, high-performance things; it’ll be fun to get down in the weeds at something less than 300 knots.

This was my exact response. The various economy add ons for flight sims are ok, but having it baked into the game from the start and flying a piece of crap at tree top level to deliver a parcel of cookies and socks to some backwater swamp sounds fantastic.

Yeessssss want.

Oh, wow, that’s basically a description of my dream flight sim.

Hopefully it makes it on VR someday.

WANT.

You had me with the first line!

Deadstick sounds freaking amazing! WIsh it was being done big-budget because (1) bush piloting should take place in Alaska, not flat Florida, and (2) I needs my precious VR.

Apples and oranges. As for flight modeling, IL-2 fans would bitch about the flight modeling of a real TP-51D if you put them in the front seat. Fork those guys. But seriously, the flight modeling quality varies per plane in Aerofly FS2, some are great (the Extra can certainly do Extra things), some feel like they still need more fidelity. It’s stronger in some areas than others, but it certainly delivers $60 worth of fun potential.

Ohhhh lookit, a new helicopter sim!

But it’s VR ONLY. Fuck.

Even when I upgrade, I might just avoid VR out of spite.

Luckily it looks cheap and nasty! I get the feeling the ‘sim’ part of this will be just an afterthought.

@BrianRubin, can’t you write off upgrading your PC and getting VR as a business expense, for Space Game Junkie?

Oh wow I’m just now seeing this somehow but I SERIOUSLY want this Bush Pilot game! :D

Oh man, I wish.

There’s some intense internet drama going down right now over FSLabs’ A320. Someone on reddit points out it comes with malware that steals your passwords from Chrome. Instead of doing the smart thing and getting a lawyer or going into hiding, the dev explains that it’s okay because they only use it against pirates.

If such a specific serial number is used by a pirate (a person who has illegally obtained our software) and the installer verifies this against the pirate serial numbers stored in our server database, it takes specific measures to alert us. “Test.exe” is part of the DRM and is only targeted against specific pirate copies of copyrighted software obtained illegally.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/7yh4zu/fslabs_a320_installer_seems_to_include_a_chrome/

The game’s own forum with the developers’ response:

https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/16210-malware-in-installer/

Some serious Stockholm syndrome going on in there as well.

Of course if I spent $140 for an airplane DLC I’d probably get Stockholm syndrome too.