Civilian Flight Sim thread

I’m just shocked that Chrome passwords are still easily exposed. Does this only work on older versions? I could swear Google added better security at some point.

Yet another reason to use a standalone password manager.

Yeah but if you spent the $140, then you wouldn’t have this extraction tool on your system… ;)

Seems they’ve now apologised and removed the offending ‘DRM’ method.

Looks like Flight Sim World is being dropped.

TL;DR version: Dovetail sees the open, obvious path to harmonize with the mod community that keeps civvie sims alive; decides to take shitty kill-the-golden-goose path instead. Mod community not impressed, at all. FSW dies.

That whole 30% to Steam, 30% to Dovetail was extremely stupid. Sounds like they had a lot of other problems as well.

So Deadstick has a Steam page now.

Excellent, thank you!

Wishlisted!

Deadstick is going to be at the Flight Sim Expo in Las Vegas this weekend, with demos open to attendees. So if you’re interested and around there, might be a fun trip. Otherwise, I’m sure we’ll get some impressions.

There is a Flight Sim Expo? Why have I never gone to this?

I was saying the same thing to the flight simmer in the office next to me today. Maybe a 2019 trip.

I tried out Aerofly FS 2 recently, partly based on the good opinions it received here. I am a complete beginner when it comes to flight sims (other than dabbling with FSX ages ago), so I am unable to compare it with the others on the market.

The UI looks like it comes straight from a mobile game, with big buttons taking up half the screen which is useful if you’re using your thumb to press them but not a mouse. I really liked how you could browse a map to select where you want to start and end from. It’s a shame you can’t fly anywhere in the world (at least with decent scenery). The selection of aircraft looked pretty good and joystick calibration was pretty easy.

The vaunted graphics were a bit of a mixed bag. At 4k rez the high-res terrain maps occasionally look spectacular. Close to the ground or anywhere near civilization and the veil is lifted. There aren’t any moving parts here, just your glossy plane flying over terrain mesh. With the water being just a photograph it also looks really strange. The sides of cliffs often look really terrible.

Can’t comment on the flight model or how good VR is (apparently it’s great!), but it all seemed a little too empty and simple. Perhaps that’s why flight sim vets consistently recommended it to those new to the genre, something easy to get into, but I don’t think that’s true as there really isn’t anything to do in the game other than look at the scenery. I never found the act of flying to be difficult or require concentration in the game.

So I refunded it after 1.5 hours. I tried the demo for X-plane 11 and even though it’s less beginner friendly I also think it’s more appealing as there is evidently more depth and breadth on offer. Ideally, though, I think I need more game systems to really engross me. Can’t wait for Deadstick as that might be the one!

I never really got on with Aerofly either (in VR) and refunded it soon after purchase. For much the same reasons as you list.

That’s because it does. It’s a port from a mobile game. :)

Perhaps you should give Il-2 Battle of Kuban a whirl, or DCS… Get some Red Vs Blue in your game.

After your post in the other thread I downloaded DSC World (it’s free!) and proceeded to bang my head against the wall with technical problems for a good hour or two. The times I did get in a plane it staggered me just how much I need to learn to even take off. I probably just need to spend more time configuring / troubleshooting the tech issues and doing some tutorials, but my next thought was to try a civilian flight sim that might be more beginner friendly and revisit DCS down the road.

Do you think IL-2 is a more polished experience than DCS? Because I read somewhere it wasn’t.

Actually it is. Give it a shot. You may want to buy just one part of it in steam and get the rest straight from the developer if you like it.

what sort of technical problems did you have? perhaps we can shed some light on 'em in the other thread.

Is Prepare3d a decent improvement on FSX, and worthwhile? It looks like they have upgraded it to a 64-bit engine, directx 11, and added vr support.

Totally. Looks much better, much better performance, and the Prepar3D VR is excellent.

A lot of old FSX stuff doesn’t work due to 32-bit instrument DLLs not working, but planes with XML instruments are fine. I have enough old FSX stuff running to keep me entertained.

X-Plane is getting really good now. They have the community adding airports, and the VR and updated graphics engine are pretty nice. And Austin Meyer’s horrific user interface (second only to Derek Smart’s in user hostility ;) has finally been replaced. The flight models feel better than P3D, but the ground handling’s pretty wonky. Doesn’t have the third-party and freeware support that P3D has, though it’s catching up.

I picked up XP11 on a whim a couple of weeks ago, mostly because I’m pretty excited about Deadstick and wanted something to tide me over (though why my rooted copy of Microsoft Flight with full Alaska and Hawaii scenery wasn’t enough, I don’t quite know.) Anyway, X-Plane. I keep expecting to reach that point in a game where it all feels like busywork and the game breaks for me in my head, but I really am enjoying queuing up a mission in FSEconomy, pulling out the Skyhawk or some other GA aircraft, working through the checklists, plotting my flight plan on a VFR chart, and using a rudimentary ATC (I’m using 124th ATC, but am considering springing for Pilot2ATC) to fly the route via pilotage and/or simple nav markers.

So FlyInside Flight Simulator is going Early Access on Friday. This is from the guy who added VR support to FSX, and to X-Plane and Prepar3D before their native support was ready.

It’s geared towards VR, but supports monitors too. Sadly, though it originally was slated to be compatible with FSX add-ons, it turns out it’s apparently easy to port planes over, but you can’t drop them in directly. That makes me way less excited than I initially was.

Initial release will have scenery for the whole US and 10-15 planes, with European scenery and ATC to be added later. SDK for scenery and planes will be available.

Even though it’s built on being easy to port over FSX stuff, the engine is fully multithreaded (so there goes Stusser’s “2 cores is plenty for any game” :-) and it supports Vulcan rendering. (Which means no ray-tracing on that RTX 2080 Ti you bought to make Prepar3D playable around Seattle, I guess.)

Early access price is only $32, and it’s just $25 if you bought any version of FlyInside (which I did), so I’ll happily toss some money their way to play around, even though I worry it may be like AeroFly FS2 and not get much add-on support.

http://www.flyinside-flightsim.com/