Civilian Flight Sim thread

And that’s the civvie side of things. You’ll likely find the average age on the shooty side a little lower and the VR uptake a little higher.

I think the one conclusion you can take away from that survey is that flight simming is about the uncoolest hobby on earth.

Today’s Flare Path is all about Deadstick. Looking good.

Every time I open this thread, it’s like a 50-50 chance it’s about Deadstick.

Not that I mind! There isn’t a whole lot else happening in the civilian flight sim world right now. Hoping Aerofly adds the Pacific Northwest soon.

That’s good to see. I actually visited their Steam page earlier this week and it looked pretty dead – last update August 2018 and no replies to any forum pleas to confirm that the project was still going.

I wasn’t quite sure how to take that last question in the interview:

Does that mean VR is in? Does that mean neither VR nor Rudder Pedal support is in, but if they were going to choose to put one in it would be VR? [I’m assuming that doesn’t make sense, since if it supports joysticks, I can’t imagine supporting Rudder Pedals is that much more work.]

Sounds like both are in, but VR enhances the experience more. Very relieved to read this piece. The radio silence was getting worrying.

I think I’m most excited about the economy and progression. Gives me something to do.

Agreed—lots of modern sims have the weakness that the only thing to do is tool around, which has limited staying power.

I enjoyed playing FSEeconomy back when I still flew in FSX, so I’m looking forward to this.

Can anyone recommend a flight sim for someone who:

a) is new to flight sims
b) has a laptop that does not have a dedicated graphics card
c) doesn’t want to shoot anyone or drop things on them.

Cheers.

This is built with VR in mind, meaning it is pretty easy on the graphics card. That should do it for your laptop.

Just noticed the Deadstick guys did a livestream.

It looks great. I can’t wait!

Thanks for the recommendation @schurem

Are there any flight sims or mods out there that try to model… I guess “comfort” would be the right word? Like, I can make a rough landing, but I don’t really have a way to know how smooth it was. Is there something that would give me that kind of feedback? Anything that models, like, passenger experience?

I’m all but sure I’ve seen some Youtuber fly with just such an FSX mod, but I can’t recall which Youtuber or mod offhand.

There was something called FS Passengers back in the FS 2004/FSX era that modeled what you’re looking for although I have no idea if it’s still around for P3D or Xplane 11.

Edit: actually it’s still around but not for xplane.

http://www.fspassengers.com

Forgot all about this sim. It looks great! I’ve always wanted a solid career-oriented civilian flight sim (add-ons for MSFS have been a bit of a kludge).

And great to hear they are going to be supporting VR.

That’s exactly what I was looking for. I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

Today’s RPS Flare Path links to a free online paragliding simulator that sounds fabulous.

You can fly it for free in your browser without signing in, but then flights are limited to 30 minutes and you don’t get your fancy post-flight track and facts stuff. Sign up (again for free) and you can fly about to your heart’s content, from pre-set start locations or from anywhere you choose, (hello local landmarks).

Control is with the mouse, using mouse position to control glider position and you should use the “+” key in game to crank up the graphics, because for a browser game, it can look quite purdy.

There are competitions on the site, including a virtual Paragliding World Cup - here’s the two and a half hour flight that currently leads the standings - and I feel like we could come up with a great set of fun and interesting places to start gliding here at Qt3.

I just completed my first run, going for about 15 minutes off the side of Slide Mountain in Reno. When you look at the traces of the high scorers you can see a lot of up and down and while I managed to catch some updrafts I hard a really hard time staying in them, so my trace was largely all downhill. I scored 797,466 points. I’m going to pretend that’s good for a first go.

Apologies to members of the Montreaux Golf Club in Reno, but I landed in one of your bunkers.