Civilization V

Absolutely cannot wait. This better be as good as the last one Firaxis!

http://www.civilization5.com/

Fall 2010

:O

Hex based!

http://www.civilization5.com/img/screenshots/screenshot_02.jpg

Considering Soren Johnson won’t be working on Civ 5, I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much.

Because they think they can improve on perfection.

Troy

Whoooo!! I hope you guys enjoy it.

-Scott-

It looks like big stacks of units might be gone too, at least judging from the lack of any stacking UI in those screenshots.

EDIT: Plus archers appear to be engaging at greater than one hex range. Looks like the biggest shake up of Civ combat in the series.

Hex based??!?! Awesome, and completely unexpected.

It will be really really hard to top Civ 4, though.

Hey, he wasn’t on board when Civ 1 and Civ 2 were done, and they were also kind of good games…

also: Hex based. Ugh. Unsold.

So they weren’t working on a turn-based X-Com…

Game looks gorgeous as hell though.

Holy shit! Hex-based. Wooooooo!

Look at those screenshots! Oooh!

I hope they either leave espionage out or heavily refine it though, it really did nothing for me.

Improving on Civ IV seems tough, but to some extent it might be a worthwhile game just for being different. It doesn’t have to be better than Civ IV for me to buy it, that would be an insane standard to hold strategy games to.

Now I want to play Civ IV again, damn.

I was just thinking “Eh, Civ 4 will keep me happy for quite a while”, and then you had to go and show me that. Trying to optimize movements with diagonals always felt somewhat awkward.

Hexes are worse than squares? Just curious why this would be so?

You like a square grid better? Are you high?

I too am interested in why hexes would be worse than squares. Any game I’ve played I’ve preferred hexes to squares, although free movement would be awesome.

On a tangent, what’s the next mathematical step up? Sqaure -> Hex -> ***?

I love the idea of hex based. There’s a few details on the web page too about battles, which seem to no longer be one stack versus one stack. Armies spread across the landscape? cooool. Also looking forward to finding out what improved diplomacy looks like, since the whoe diplomatic/informatic model changed a bit from expansion to expansion in Civ 4

Octagon -> Decagaon -> Dodecagon -> Tetrakaidecagon -> …

When all else fails war will take place on “vast, realistic and diverse landscapes”, and this time you will be able to fall back on ranged bombardment, too, loosing off rounds from behind the front lines.

Looking at those screens, and reading this hype, it looks like catapults can actually bombard the enemy from a few hexes away. That’s promising.

My initial reaction was “How could they possibly top Civ IV?” But the switch to hexes is huge given Sid’s longstanding aversion to them. Now I’m really curious to see what other changes are in the works.