Civilization VI

I am curious if there is any market reaction to the price tag on that? Or since the real game is an in app purchase, people are cool with it?

Last time I was in Atlanta was… uh… before GPS. It was confusing.

Why don’t they fix the AI? All this stuff is well and good, but with an AI that is already totally incompetent, how can it expect to deal with these new rules unless behind the scenes it is almost exempt from them.

I’m afraid I have no answers for you. :(

Because they don’t care. It’s really as simple as that.

Most likely this. The game sells like hot cakes and as discussed up thread (I’m guessing, I’ve seen this sentiment around and I think it was here) most casual gamers don’t really care or even notice the AI doing something dumb. Vote with your wallet, though in my case I’m voting by saying this doesn’t really look that interesting to me. I liked Civ VI leading up to launch, and enjoyed my first game, but it never grabbed me much after that (despite attempts to get back into it - the poor AI isn’t even where I fell off the game, but rather not actually having much fun while playing). Watching the video I linked didn’t do much for me, so I’ll probably dodge this one unless it gets incredible reviews/word of mouth.

I think this stuff looks cool, although this latest expansion is only slightly interesting. However, I am just frustrated that the game isn’t fun because its not challenging because the AI is so stupid. I just need to wait until the dev kit is released and someone writes a real AI, and then Ill buy this stuff on sale.

I also need to remember to not buy the next civ game no matter how cool it looks until it is proven that AI is decent.

Well of Souls has a nice write-up of the news stuff as well:
http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_riseandfall.html

I still enjoy the gameplay of Civ. What the poor AI has done for me is made me adjust my expectations of what I’ll get from a Civ game. My guess is that I got at least 1000 hours each from Civ 1-3, and at least 2000 from Civ IV.

Steam says I have 722 hours of Civ V, but that probably included 5-10% idle time.
I only have 151 hours from Civ VI, even though I like Civ VI more than V.

Now maybe if Civ IV came out today I wouldn’t have the enormous amount of hours that I put in back in the day. I play a greater variety of types of games now, with more games at my disposal. Still, I enjoy firing up Civ for a game or 2 before it goes back on the shelf for months.

I am secretly hoping to pick up the expansion some day after reviews and strong word of mouth sway me and finding I like the game as much or even more than I did when I first played it.

One of the reasons they do that is because when the game is unlocked via an IAP, it doesn’t work with the family sharing that Apple has.

I’ll buy it for the iPad, but not for $60. I would be on board for $30.

I pre-ordered the expansion on the slim hope that this expansion will do what Gods and Kings expansion did for Civ V and reignite my interest in the game. While this forum has been fairly negative towards both V and VI. In my own experience, I’ve since gotten a lot of entertainment value from Civ V thanks to both expansions that released, so I’m hopeful it happens again. Even with Civ IV, the base game had a few failings and the Warlords expansion did a lot to enhance the game. I can not remember what, but I remember Warlords, then Beyond the Sword making Civ IV the much loved game in the series that it is.

Firaxis have a lot of work to do though beyond the whole AI issues plaguing the game. I started a new game the other day to get familiar and ended up quitting before I built my first city thanks to the bug where I started too close to my neighbours. I know there is a fix, but that shit should have been rectified by Firaxis sooner and I’m horribly disappointed.

The second area I want to see improved is the diplomacy angle. Civ IV had a functional system. Leaders had their personalities, relations were a series of positive and negative numbers and it was elegant and functional.

The third area is the religious unit spam. I think that has been addressed, but I don’t know. I tend to ignore religion most of the time with Civ VI as it stands. Last time I played was some time after Australia was released as a DLC and religion didn’t really matter much with that game. Which brings a fourth area that is the end game. Fucking boring. With any luck, the run of golden ages/dark ages might encourage and add a challenge to the end game. I’d love to see a tight finish again that I would experience with Civ IV as opposed to mindless end turn button waiting for long projects to finish or the ponderous slow domination/world conquest.

AI doesn’t really matter to me. In my experience when I frequented the Civ fanatics forums, the most common way to play was builder mode. Civ VI achieves this and I can appreciate that might be part of the design philosophy of building a civilization as opposed to conquering the world.

For me it really is this. The 1upt is interesting in the early game but by the time we get to the middle ages turns take forever. I am not talking about just the waiting time. I am talking about my own turns. I would routinely play through a Civ IV game in 3-4 hours. Civ V and Civ VI, with 1upt and general bloat, take upwards of 10-12 hours. I simply have a difficult time remaining interested, especially as those last half a dozen hours are taken while the game is a fairly foregone conclusion. I am bored to death with the game long before I am done with it. Even if the game was competitive I still get bored with it as it ponderously goes from turn to turn with little really happening.

No wonder that I usually stop playing around 1500 and never return to those games.

1UPT sounds good in paper. I was initially quite excited for it when Civ5 was announced. In practice it’s a terrible fit for this franchise, at least the way it’s currently implemented. Like you guys said, it can turninto a real slog just moving your units around and the AI simply cannot handle organizing and moving units cohesively.

I was kind of surprised that they kept it in Civ6 and left it mostly untouched.

This a hundred millions times. When the game gets sprawled later on it turns it from a game into a job which is no fun. I played so many Civ IV games to completion because I could make a comparative stack of awesome (or the AI did) and rule the map. Splitting the stacks as necessary multiple times as strategy dictated and in a way, if there was a wide front you had lots of units nearing 1UPT. But when a power punch was needed you could breaththru. Not have the clogged maps of Civ V/VI.

Speaking as the resident Civ V apologist/fan, I agree that’s the one piece which still needs improvement to this day even after mods have had their way with the game. If I had my way, we’d have stacks of doom and scene shifts to “battle views” where 1UPT is a lot easier to handle. Of course, each turn would take infinitely longer, but my thousands of hours spent on the game seem to argue at least I’d still be up for it.

For some reason most people seem to think the choice is 1 unit per turn or unlimited stacks of doom…

How about stack limits as determined by technology level/logistics?

To be fair, I think some people use “stacks of doom” as shorthand, but yes; that would have made IV a better game imho.

I thought that’s what they were doing in Civ6 when I heard about Corps and Armies at later tech. I was so disappointed at the implementation.