Civilization VI

I think the idea is that you can pursue policies that will induce global warming, thereby raising the oceans etc., or not. Because this might create incentives for land-locked civs to try to submerge coastal civs, there are climate events that affect the heartland, too, like dust bowls. Anyway, the idea is that players influence disasters, not just the other way around.

The old Alpha Centauri “lower terrain elevation to submerge enemy city and destroy it without triggering war” exploit.

Yep, that sort of thing. I like your forum handle! It fits this discussion, lol.

Hehe…

I’m a native of Canada, I’m a hockey fanatic, and I like Mounties just fine, so I’m happy with all this. That said, none of my Canadian relatives declare war politely. :)

Gameplay-wise, this Civ sounds like my kind of thing: builders who can win a Cultural or Diplomatic victory.

Wow, so they are adding Canada. I remember speculating about what a Canada would be like in Civ.

The Northwest Mounted Police were the forerunners to the RCMP. A hockey rink was just such an obvious addition. I guess going with Wilfred Laurier is a good choice too.

I still can’t get over they’re charging $40 for this DLC.

wait, what?

That’s … not a great look

CIv6DLC

Base game is still 60 bucks too, two years past release.

Whoa! Finally, Canada! That has me far more interested in the DLC than I was but…still no go at that price. I’ll wait for the deep discounts to get it all to play it again one day.

I think this is the first Civ expansion I’m not buying at launch. No way am I paying $40 for an expansion that doesn’t sound that great for a Civ that isn’t that good. I’m sure I’ll get it at some point because I still need to play all things Civ, but they have started to erode my dedication.

Yup - I’m gonna pass too. Ridiculous cash grab pricing.

Civ VI made me go from hating the changes to entirely indifferent to the franchise entirely and it will be hard for them to ever bring me back.

The changes were good. It was just a huge, huge mistake not to undo one unit per tile. Civ 6 + more units per tile could have been amazing.

Limiting stack sizes was a decent enough idea, but 1UPT was not the correct solution for a game of this scale. The pathfinding alone can be a nightmare, especially for the AI. That’s not to say it can’t be done, Gladius pulls it off quite well, but I always thought it was a poor fit here.

How about three units per tile for military units, or scaling the number of units based on certain techs? At first you just have a mob with clubs, but later you have a legion protecting archers. Later, infantry, cavalry, and cannon.

I thought 1UPT showed clear and obvious problems, even if some people ultimately preferred it to “stacks of doom”. I was very disappointed Firaxis just rolled out the same system without taking the opportunity to correct course or at the least tweak the other systems so 1UPT worked better.

Or just go with the system used by the game that solved this problem 20 years ago: Imperialism.

Individual spaces for the fun worker tile improvement stuff, giant Risk-like territory spaces for army movement. Turn combat into a small tactical battle when 2 armies clash.

You’re done.

I haven’t measured it (and haven’t really tried to break it yet), but the gladius map also feels a lot less full than pretty much any CIV5 or CIV6 game I’ve played, with more interesting terrain as well (height, LOS, wireweed/forest/ruins).

Yep, they knew they wanted to do a tactical 1UPT system and designed around it. Civ feels like they just shoe-horned it into the Civ formula and left it as is.

What is gladius in this context? I’m not familiar with it.

This one: Slitherine Announces Gladius - Relics of War