Civilization VI

I liked it! It was something to dread and when I was done with the game it was something I used to have fun with the flood the whole world. It added a whole extra layer of game. See if I were winning and some jerks were pumping out way too crap that was going to tip the planet into global warming it then became my duty (since I cherished my carefully manicured cities) to go to war and annihilate or fix them. Basically a countdown timer. If I was doing bad in a game and was an interior land civ, them sometimes I might try to push global warming to cripple my enemies.

Does anyone know how to build a national park? I made a naturalist but there seems to be no tiles that meet the criteria for a national park.

I have but you need some rather specific conditions. I think there was only one city in my empire that qualified, mountains, forests and no improvements.

The conditions for a national park are quite specific. It takes four tiles with breathtaking views in a diamond pattern. There’s a filter for it in the map view so you can look for spots. I ended up founding a city to claim the spots just to build the park.

Best bug evar.

Fighting a war with Spain. As usual they declared because they were upset with me for fighting a war with someone else who declared war for no reason. As usual they declared an two eras behind me with no hope of victory. As usual they absolutely refuse to surrender their capital no matter how many more of their cities I take.

I wipe out their last city. “You have been defeated” – the military loss screen. I guess Madrid was sitting on the doomsday device or something. Stupid game can’t even tell the difference between me and the AI I beat. This is just plain stupid.

And yet you are still playing it…

I put this on my wishlist. They are planning on patching it, right?

They sure are taking their time patching. All I expect are bug fixes and I doubt we will see the fundamental issues fixed. I just need to remember, whenever the next civ game comes out, don’t buy it. Of course that will be years from now, and Ill probably forget what the last one was like and buy it anyway, and then remember, “Oh yea, their AI sucks and they never care enough to do anything about it.”

As we’ve discussed upthread, the suspicion is that many of the crucial bugs are deeply embedded in how the game is actually designed, and aren’t really bugs at all. They’re complex systems the AI has no clue how to play, because the game was designed by creating a ton of different things to do and then backfilling the AI as best they could to get it to play as much of the game as its feeble little brain could handle. At least that is sure how it seems to work. Or not work.

But in Miramon’s case, the game can’t even tell who won or lost? That’s a horrific game-breaking bug independent of the AI.

It’s on my wish list but I’m increasingly glad I held off. Every day there’s a new bug post and I’m tempted to just hit the “remove” button. Maybe if they can turn this around but their track record hasn’t been stellar.

Is it possible the another AI happened to win a victory that turn? I was playing a game with a friend online, and suddenly one turn it just said “You’re Defeated” with no context at all. I thought it was a bug, but my friend had actually won a religious victory that turn. No indication of what happened on my end, though, just “you lost”.

Hey, devs, knowing I lost is one thing, but did it not occur to you that I might want to know HOW I lost, or who won? Sheesh.

I suppose it might have been possible there was some kind of stealth victory. I assumed the fact that it happened the turn I destroyed Spain’s last city and was accompanied by a scene showing a burning city meant it was an elimination loss. I’ve never actually lost a game of Civ VI before…

No doubt. But it’s not a very important bug, really. Do you need the game to tell you you’ve won or lost in that situation? Doubtful. And I’m pretty sure it’s all tied together in the horrific mess that is the game’s AI.

They also have to be vertical diamond, and all the tiles belong to the same city.

I they can still work on some of these issues. For example, how hard can it be to fix the problem where the AI declares war on you, when it has no hope of winning? This can come down to a simple rule. If player army > AI army and player tech > AI tech, then DO NOT DECLARE WAR.

There are dozens of rules that can be made to make things better. I am betting that there will be mods that will dramatically improve the AI. If this is not beyond modders to improve, it should be much easier for Firaxis, to improve. I think it is just an unwillingness to spend the time and money to fix it. It is not a problem that is simply intractable.

I can see the AI challenge of how to build efficient cities a bit difficult, but these are not the issues that I am talking about. Its all the “WTF?!” issues that make no sense and are just plain stupid.

Yes, the majority of idiotic diplomacy problems in CIV VI can be fixed with rules that would be trivial to code even in the absence of any formalism for defining rules. Like that silly war declaration rule. Either the devs don’t think these are problems at all, or else they don’t care about fixing them.

Eh, I interpreted that to mean that the game ended because the game somehow thought Miramon was Spain.

Could be, in which case, yeah, that’s kinda bad :)

I’m not as confident as you guys are, I don’t think. I really think there are some serious problems under the hood. Fixing a few rules-based exceptions might make things feel a bit better in some ways, but it won’t get at the underlying problems. But sure, a little is better than nada.