Civilization VI

Fundamentally those are my issues as well. Also allies declaring war out of the blue.

They’re billing the Viking scenario as their most detailed scenario, so I wonder if it’s worth a look. Maybe they’ve done a total conversion about playing a Viking faction who pillages a bunch of dumb unresponsive AI factions. That might lend itself well to the, uh, idiosyncrasies of Civ VI.

Oh, wait, here’s the direct quote from the press release"

the most detailed scenario released yet for Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Isn’t is also the only scenario released for Sid Meier’s Civilization VI?

-Tom

I’m also my father’s favorite son!

Why on earth did they remove the factory overlap thing? That sort of city planning was one of the few good things the game had going for it.

I noticed they added Poland. Now not only does her dress look like a copy out something from Sims Medieval but they also added a Poland scenario.

For historic reference, Z Ognjem in Mecem - With Fire and Sword - is sort of THE movie regarding this subject, including what has to be the Greatest Line of Cossacks in film of all time. It’s almost certainly the inspiration for Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword as well. Setting aside that everyone is a stereotype and that it’s basically a walking Bechdel Test failure, is chock filled with nationalist undertones and there are parts that are surprisingly rambling, and is really nothing more than a boys’ own war movie, it has lots of Winged Hussars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5jrtdLOZ0&t=39m49s I gave you a couple minutes of context, but zoom to about 42m to see Cossacks!

I watched way more of that film than I intended to. Thanks for that (I think)

I like the mechanics of the new Civ, but I won’t buy any DLC unless and until the AI starts to improve. And not the auto-gaslighting phantom improvement that haunts the vision of fans after every patch, either. I mean actual evidence that it has some kind of vague idea what it’s doing.

Her dress is based on a real dress she wore:

Stolen from Reddit. Of course they got the color wrong.

Complaining about the color of a dress is so last year.

I am with you on that. I will not spend another penny on a civ game until they fix the AI. You can have the most wonderful mechanics and the best graphics, but none of that matters if there is little to no challenge when playing.

I have no urge to buy anything more for Civ VI. It just bounced off me, which makes me a little sad because it’s the first Civ game that’s ever done that. I’ve been a fan since the first one.

Same way. They need to make it an actual game before I’ll consider it anything other than money wasted.

Civ VI is just so boring. Not with EU, Stellaris or Endless Legend to play instead (whatever problems Stellaris has it’s still many times more interesting to me than Civ VI) It’s opportunity cost rather than just being bad; there are just better games to play. Civ VI seems surprisingly janky. Part of the issue is I think that the mechanics are opaque and yet the individual Civ bonuses tend to be quite technical and uninspiring (to me).

Another funny thing about this expansion - because yes, I bought the deluxe edition like a sucker - is that they clearly prerecorded Sean Bean’s speech months ago, and in his voice over for Poland says “king” instead of “queen”; instead of getting him back to fix this error they just transcribe it verbatim. This is The Godfather of 4X franchises? Janky.

I had to reinstall Sims Medieval (my favorite Sims game btw!) but I’ll post a pic later tonight.

I got Civ6 at launch, and I’ve yet to actually finish an actual game. Furthest I got was the industrial age, but gave up due to not having any actual oil or anything I desperately needed.

I’ll try again with this new patch.

I do find it odd that the Poland DLC adds the winged hussars, a unit featured in the game’s opening cinematic.

You’re right, I forgot about that. Better late than never.

Jadwiga actually took the name Hedvig Rex Poloniae “king” rather than the feminine version to solidify her power.

Oh, by the way, since the “Deluxe Edition” included four DLC packs, does this mean today’s Poland faction and Viking scenario releases constitute half of the commitment?

That would be my guess.

Me too. Amazing. I guess those folks paid extra for probably two new factions and two new scenario packs by the time this is done.