Civilization VI

no

It’s a frustrating game weighed down by annoying UI choices and certain game mechanics that make no sense, but I suffer/enjoy it on MP because my sister still loves this series. It’s the only reason I play. I have other games I play for SP enjoyment.

Only if you have a group to regularly play multiplayer with.

I myself only thought the single player was decent until I realized how it is utterly impossible to lose to the AI (outside of a starting unit rush in the first 30 turns). If you survive the first 30 turns, it’s not a matter of if you’ll win, it’s when. Just keep hitting the end turn button (and wait through the LONG late game processing times) until it happens.

I’m not even a great Civ player. I could never beat 4 above Monarch difficulty. I cannot lose (outside of a starting rush) in 6 even on deity.

Fourth. Even as MP, there are better options, like AOW3.

The only way I buy Civ 7 now is if folks on here rave about it.

Every bit this, I absolutely love this game and the AI is more than competent.

I loved 4 and thought 5 was good. I hate 6.

OK, I’m officially going to pass on it at this point…

You have chosen… wisely.

It seems like, in their effort to abolish the stack of doom, they forgot that was the only thing keeping the AI a military threat.

(Although that doesn’t explain why the AI is so incapable of producing a simple space race victory)

Am I the only one who thinks it’s high time Civ moved to a different combat model than the long outdated Empire Deluxe? Something more like Master of Orion’s tactical combat. The Imperialism games did a great job with this (individual tiles for improvements and workers, giant Risk-like territory spaces for army movement).

I don’t think the only problem with Civ VI is the AI and combat though.I mean sure people complain a lot of about the AI ability to do the combat but there are… other issues. I for one can’t stand how much information I can’t get to just clickong on the map or units… like always having to go into the pedia for info that used to be easy to navigate to in IV.

Yes. It doesn’t have to be Civ4 stacks again (although I honestly had no problem with them. If a stack wiped you you either needed some collateral damage units or you just got whooped economically), but i think it’s clear by this point that 1UPT doesn’t work. Or at least Firaxis is unwilling to put the resources to getting the AI to understand it. There are other options out there like MOO, GC3, Call to Power, etc.

I think what killed it for me in Civ 6 was simply the adding of potentially interesting new mechanics while failing to update the game’s AI to competently handle them. I want to play an AI that, much like a board game, understands the victory conditions and is making an honest attempt to win, not simply some cheesy thematic (and thus very predictable) opponent in there to harass the player with no idea of how to actually win the game.

Yeah, no one is expecting brilliance from the AI. Just basic gameplay. And they can’t even manage that.

I keep waiting for them to release the full SDK, and I don’t get why it hasn’t happened yet. 6, even more than 5, has taken a beating for its AI. I still enjoy it, but I know it can be SO much better if some … well, competent people without blinders get their hands on it. I start to wonder if the delay on releasing the full SDK is based more on hubris than anything else.

Shrug.

I like it and keep going back to it.

But admittedly, I do not play like a lot of other people. I might use war to grab something I feel I need, but never to expand vastly. So the one unit per tile bit doesn’t impact my enjoyment nearly as much.

Not that I couldn’t suggest some improvements, but of the games that came out in the past couple years, it would remain near the top in terms of enjoyment and time spent.

(Oddly, 5 bored me to tears. I felt like every map presented the same basic situation.)

I wouldn’t mind seeing the 1UPT battles go tactical like HOMM or other TBS games that have units fight on a zoomed-in grid representing the current terrain of the outer map. Like most of those games, if you wanted to skip that part of it, you could still have the auto-calculated outcome but for those that wanted to manually control the units it’d be there for you. It’d make the games much longer, and leave players designing armies of multiple units instead of just producing blips on the global map.

I’m good either way, as they are all games that I enjoy for what they offer.

bought it…played for 2 hours and refunded it

I did like the graphics and time flew by but I played this game for 25 years now…me and civ are done

Paradox just acquired Triumph Studios, so the number one worry for fans right now is getting 100 dlc. The next worry is pushing future Aow titles into, as you say, fun to read about and not fun to play.

That said I did play CK2. It was actually fun. I played as various English factions always starrting before the Vikings arrived (except for one game fending off the Norman Invasion). That was after reading a tonne and watching a youtube instucrtions series.

I didn’t have the heart to try and relearn the game with Viking factions…:(

If only barbarians were strong enough to conquer the first city that would be a suitable way to go.