Civilization VI

I did like districts and Wonder placement, in terms of how it made the map an even more important part of the game. But other than that, this is the second Civ I guess I just need to wait for modders to fix (it would likely be three, had I not skipped Beyond Earth).

Speaking of mods, are they repeating the same stupidity as they did with Civ5, where they won’t release the SDK until after they’re done with DLC?

Out of a modern context where other 4X games exist ,i think Civ VI is decent enough, but i’d rather play Stellaris or Civ V or Endless Space 2 or Endless Legend.

fall patch is out…also, I got a 50% coup…they really know how to twist a guys arm

Civilization VI ‘Fall 2017 Update’

Lots of AI tuning/bug fixes, so get to testing!

I also got a 50% off coupon for the digital deluxe edition. Free to a good home… :)

Expansion announced. Maybe this fixes the game?

The game’s great as is. This will only make it better on the scale of the XCOM 2 expansion.

“With this expansion’s new features, players will be both challenged and rewarded in ways never seen before in the 26 years of the Civilization franchise.”

and the AI won’t be able to play with these new features either…they forgot that line

Yeah, I should clarify. I think the game is great … on paper. The systems and mechanics are fantastic, and I like them quite a lot. But playing the game is a different story, with the religion spam (which if I read correctly, got worse when they “fixed it” and not better) and the AI which is incapable of playing a coherent diplomacy game. I’m less concerned about the AI’s inability to do combat well, but it’s still a concern. I know there have been patches since I played last, at least two major ones, and I’d love to be wrong - but it sounds like those patches didn’t fully address these issues.

I’m hoping with a full expansion being worked on the team will be allowed to make larger changes to the core game and the AI that free patches just don’t allow.

Wow, a bold statement.

A little more specifics/details over at Game Informer.

https://www.gameinformer.com/games/sid_meiers_civilization_vi/b/pc/archive/2017/11/28/civilization-vis-upcoming-expansion-is-rise-and-fall.aspx

Unless one of those changes is functional AI, I see no reason to consider this.

Only Tom could convince me to buy this game right now.

Yep.5

I had hoped the same with Civ5, but it never happened. It took the modding community getting access to the full modding suite to fix that mess. Not to sound melodramatic or anything, but Firaxis just doesn’t care about AI and they feel that mods threaten DLC sales. So I think we’re going to have to wait for development to stop and the full modding tools to be released before it really gets addressed.

Not trying to be overly negative or anything, but I think that’s the unfortunate reality of the situation.

In defense of Firaxis, Paradox doesn’t care about AI either…they even said so

“Fans of Civilization know that each game plays out in its own way, with its own unique story. With Civilization VI: Rise and Fall, we are bringing that story into the spotlight by adding more ways to track the progress of a player’s civilization than ever before.”

ok, here is a glimmer of hope…they used the word STORY…i have always considered that strategy games should let me make my own STORY of my empire…not about winning or losing…can this possibly be the very first integration of strategy/story!!!

I can’t believe I’m writing this, but I’m pretty sure I will skip this expansion. This is a first for me. I’m not excited about new Civ content.

I think I’m done with this series.

End of an era for me.

I’ll probably skip the expansion, unless someone convincing says it’s worth a look. I just don’t like Civilization VI. But I imagine I’ll be back for Civilization VII, I think Firaxis still have good games in them, and the Civilization formula definitely has unexplored and interesting design space left.

My head tells me you’re right and I should skip it, but my heart wants to cling to the Civilization series.

If you didn’t like your time with Civ 6, I’m not sure why anyone would want to throw good money after bad. I love Civ 6 and think the expansion will be excellent, but don’t most of us have backlogs of games we already convinced ourselves would be great? If in doubt, go play one of those and save your cash.