Civilization VI

I’m home.

I would dispute this. Unless you mean how in EL you spend most of your time clicking end turn…but I doubt you mean that as you wrote:

I’m with him here lol.

A chacun son envie. I disliked it quite strongly. All jagged edges etc.

I would also dispute this. Imho only “clever” if your frame of reference is Civ 5.

Anyway, I’m not the best person to talk about AoW3 with.

I love the game but even I’m not sure I’d go quite that far.

I’m trusting Firaxis’s track record with expansions here. I picked up Civ VI and pre-ordered the expansion. We’ll see how this goes.

Sure, but major updates and expansions always wreck my ever growing collection of mods! 😉

Expansion is 25% off at GMG with EARLYBIRD25.

(Also works with Metal Gear Survive and Kingdom Come: Deliverance)

Trusting Firaxis for anything at this point is like trusting a used car salesman.

A very nice summary of the changes and additions:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-fall-features-thread.624895/

My sense is that for builders, this is going to be a stellar expansion. For those who want it to be a military game, not so much.

Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station

I like this.

Agreed. I personally love what I’m seeing, but then I’m a sucker for all things Civ.

I’m so weak… bought

Well the base game just updated, and expansion apparently unlocks here in 8 hours. So I hope GMG are forthcoming with those keys! :)

So do any of you pro players think these new mechanics, especially City Loyalty, will help end the tyranny of ICS as the biggest dominating strategy?

Bought here too. I’m a sucker for all things Civ, and a builder. Changes look nice for my playstyle.

I’m nowhere near a pro, but I think that the loyalty system is meant to address city sprawl. You can still send your settlers off to distant points and plop down cities, but then you will have to devote significant resources trying to avoid their loyalty flagging to the point that they break away from your empire – and even if they don’t, diminished loyalty will sap their productivity.

But we will have to see how this plays out. They are also trying to create better separation between starting locations, and an unintended result might be more cities, and without the need to build far off where loyalty is an issue.

I think a lot of Civ players are a bit schizo – they are very frustrated if the map doesn’t allow extensive expansion, but then they are frustrated when too many cities leads to, well, too many cities.

I think the biggest question, though, is whether the system where your civ’s performance each age determine whether the next age is golden, dark, or normal. If it works, city sprawl might be less unpleasant because you are always focused on picking up era points to meet your quota for this “chapter.” Honestly, I am 50-50 as to whether this will work; looking at the system on paper, I am not sure the point system or the rewards will click. But even if they don’t, I’ll bet that modders will do some great things with the system in coming weeks.

Does anybody get how the disloyalty leads to flipping? I mean it makes sense, but I’m just curious on the mechanics. Will they just flip to another civ in the area or does the other civ need to do something to bring the city to their empire?

The city becomes a free city first. Then that free city may fall under the influence of one of the civs in the area. Or be conquered by one. (Possibly by the original owner)

The most important thing, though, is that civs have a variety of tools to use to put stress on the cities of neighboring civs, to reduce their loyalty. This includes a spy action and the use of a governor. So very often, if a city flips to a free city, a specific civ is waiting to swoop in and grab it.

Time to check out the expansion

I started plinking around with this, curious to see how far it’s come since the release. Once I got a scout out to explore, I called my warrior back to the capital to just park there on defense. I had a brief moment when I was wondering why I couldn’t click on the city to recall my warrior and then I realized, “Oh right, there’s a new scout there and 1UPT”.

Ugh. I’m not sure I have it in me.

In other words, what it’s been all along. :)

-Tom

To everyone who forgot to play like me, there’s no diplomatic penalty to attacking in earliest era.

1 odd inconsistency still at play w/ the expansion’s installation.

When you subscribe to a mod via the workshop it defaults to enabled. This isn’t my issue as it makes perfect sense BUT, whenever you add a DLC or expansion it defaults to disabled.

Oh sure I bought and installed the expansion but had no plans on actually using it. 🙄