Civilization VI

I’m using governors inefficiently, lol. I’ve been reluctant to swap them around for fear of messing up those that I do have placed well.

On sale for 50% at Humble Bundle. Worth it at that price or should I wait for better discounts?

50% off at Steam also, but 60% off at DLGamer which is pretty much historical low price.

Cheers. Is the game any good? Or should I wait for a few more expansions?

Hard to say as I haven’t played it a hell of a lot and opinions in here are mixed… you should have tried it during the free weekend that just ended! :)

It’s probably worth a crack if you have $24 to spare and you get into Civ. Though of course it will be at its best after another expansion, but the buy-in will be more then too.

Cheers!

In my opinion, Civilization II was better. But YMMV.

I say it’s worth it. I’ve played this exclusively over the weekend. The AI is still bad at making war, but the new civs and wonders are a lot of fun.

The next expansion will really complete it but for a discount it’s enjoyable.

I enjoy it for what it is, and it feels quite a bit different that Civ V and IV.

The game engages me. Steam tells me I’ve played 72 hours. But I’d hate to recommend the game because there’s a good chance it won’t tick the right boxes for you. For a builder playstyle, the game is decent. It tries new things. But when it comes to matters of diplomacy and warfare, the game and series has taken a number of backward steps. Beyond that, there are little things too that just infuriate me. My latest is method for score calculation at the end of the game. It’s petty, but the game doesn’t reward a higher score for finishing quickly, nor does it factor in difficulty. Add to that the lack of Hall of Fame to track my successful games I’ve completed. Why Firaxis, why am I thinking of setting up an excel spreadsheet tab for my board gaming log to track my Civ VI scores at the end.

I really miss the end of game review where one could see the ebb and flow of the game across the map as the game progressed.

As 1 obsessed with even just local HoFs in my games, that is a pisser.

I haven’t seen if it has been fixed with the DLC, or maybe it is a resolution problem. But when I review the graphs for my game at the end, pre-DLC I ended up with a tiny graph at the top of the screen and a heap of dead/unused space that could have been better utilised.

I hate to sound like a whinger, I know that’s exactly what I’m doing because this is minor bullshit. The game does have other issues. I just don’t know what they are thinking in the development process. On the whole, everytime I’ve seen a video where they talk about some feature or other with Civ, it always is early game, the best part of the game. Maybe Firaxis actually need to spend some time in the latter stages actually completing games to see how much the experience changes. Or maybe they have and decided it is fine when it really isn’t.

So far the expansion is a collection of half baked ideas, and half of those half baked ideas is stuff the game didn’t need (more fiddly bits that don’t address fundamental flaws in the game).

Governors- One or two are massively better than the others. A no brainer choice.

Loyalty- The only somewhat positive change. No longer can the AI rush two dozen spaces to settle tiny gaps in your territory. More gradual expansion is encouraged. Unfortunately there are 2 big problems with this mechanic. First, as usual, the AI has no clue that it exists and will continue to try and settle right up in your face only to have the city rebel 10 turns later. Second, it makes capturing cities a MASSIVE pain. Capture a city, have it rebel a few turns later before you can even establish a governor there. You either conduct total salt the earth warfare or not at all.

Ages- A total dud. There is almost no noticeable difference between dark ages and normal ages. In fact dark ages might actually be better. The era points scoring is all off (you will be stuck in permanent early dark ages if you try playing without barbarians or goodie huts) and for some reason they decided to keep the scoring criteria hidden from the player. You have to keep a separate window open with the score system and alt+tab out to consult it. Ridiculous.

Anyway else having a problem saying the game isn’t connected to the internet, when it is? Can’t get to my cloud saves. Worked fine 2 days ago.

Edit: Seems to be related to today’s patch. Went to my desktop, everything worked fine. Patched it, and now it won’t connect either.

Every era score is listed in the Civilopedia under the Historic Moments tab.

Thanks for the feedback folks I think I am gonna wait another sale season or two for a few more expansions. The deciding factor was while looking at previews I was reminded of that leader art, it may seem trivial but I really have a hard time with that big head cartoony look.

Thanks again for the info though!

I’m not a huge fan of the art style either.

But worse for me are the usually cool historical quotes you get for unlocking tech, which are uniformly terrible in this version. I used to love those!

And Sean Bean is no Nimoy - do not like, unfortunately you can’t disable him without turning off all other voices in the game too. :)

Those quotes are still my fave bit of Alpha Centauri. Sooo good.

Civ6 has hardlocked my relatively new Win10 computer TWICE in two days. I didn’t even know programs even COULD hardlock Windows 10 anymore. Once was in a game just clicking on stuff. The second was after creating a brand new game. All-in-all I’m not impressed with Rise and Fall. The AI is still pretty stupid. There is one great governor, one good governor, one below average governor, and the rest are absolute trash. If I cared more I’d throw up a quick hack to make them better but I don’t. Ages? Meh. Loyalty? Good idea. Decently executed. Whatever, it’s a distraction from my current awesome Temple+ modded playthrough of Temple of Elemental Evil (loving it).