Civilization VI

Got another question for all of you. The Factory and Power Plant improvements mention that their “bonus extends to all city centers within 6 tiles”. I take this as meaning I don’t have to build them in all my cities, just some and any other city within 6 tiles acts as if they had a Factory or Power Plant.

But my cities within 6 tiles still have the option to build Factories and Power Plants, and in fact, the “advisor recommended” icon is showing up on that option.

Am I misunderstanding what “bonus extends” means?

On release the Powerplant/Factory bonus stacked. I don’t know if it does w/ expansions + patches now.

Thanks @Sareln. Playing on Vanilla, the tooltip says “multiple copies of this building within 5 tiles of a city center do not provide additional bonuses.”

I’m assuming it goes from the Industrial Zone to City Center, so that’s another thing I should be paying more attention to when placing Industrial Zones.

Yeah, it stacked on release and was insanely overpowered. They patched that out pretty quickly because it encouraged tightly packed cities with no concern for terrain, all getting loads of free production.

If anything, it’s now too far the other way. Factories are still really expensive but take quite a while to pay off. Even so, you probably want to try to plant a few industrial districts and cover most of your cities with the factory bonus. You definitely don’t want them everywhere.

Note that as far as I can tell the great people who provide a bonus to factory production provide it to the city with the factory only.

Yes it’s 6 tiles, not counting the industrial zone itself. The game could really use a display for this when you’re placing it.

Saw this is on sale for less than $20 on Steam and figured I would investigate the forum consensus on whether to purchase. I have had it on my wishlist for a while but have not investigated reviews, etc. Seems like a pass…

I never got into VI, but most here at QT3 also hated V, which seems to be loved everywhere else. If you like V, I would think it’s worth a shot.

Don’t listen to him. I love V and am QT3’s leading authority on hating VI ;)

It’s certainly worth $20. It’s a decent game that can eat up a lot of playtime. Sure, Civ IV was tops, but I liked V and VI just fine, too. Then again, I go into Civ just wanting to build a nice little (or big) civilization with all the bells and whistles and just want everyone to get along, so if your thing is war you might have a different opinion what with needing to consider AI behaviour and all.

Love Civ4, Love Civ5, hate Civ6. The stupidest, most boneheaded AI ever, combined with a ton of fussy subsystems that don’t do much except add busywork.

I think it depends on how seriously you want to play. It’s fun but if you think about it too much and actually try to optimize it kind of falls apart.

I liked V despite its issues. I hate VI.

There’s also a mod for V, Vox Populai or something like that, which purportedly makes it a much better game.

I think that’s exactly what irked me, all of these extra fiddly systems but the devs not bothering to program an AI that even has a basic understanding of said systems.

I thought we only hated Civ V at launch.

Yeah, I hated V at launch. Eventually I think I played it more than IV and I like it just fine now. That’s why I decided not to buy VI until all the expansions were out and people said it was okay to play now.

Still waiting.

Vox Populi is excellent, for the most part. Does change the game a bit, but I prefer it to vanilla. We discussed it quite a bit in the Civ V thread.

Is there anything else that you prefer to Vox Populi?

Vox Populi is my go-to Civ5 mod as well. I loathed Civ5 mostly for the trainwreck of an AI, but VP addresses that pretty well and lets me enjoy the other aspects of the game more.

If Firaxis is going to chop their games off at the knees by not putting an effort into AI, I really wish they’d just pull their heads out of their asses over the modding tools. As can be demonstrated by basically every other strategy game in existence that supports them, mods add value, they don’t detract from DLC sales.

I haven’t really messed around with mods other than VP, no

They’re teasing something.